Tune Up Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tune Up Question

ranger1
01-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi, I just took my car in to have a tune up done. They quoted me a price of 169.00 which includes the plugs,cleaning the throttle body nad cleaning the fuel injection. The price is not the problem, the problem is that they told me that theyh would not recommend using Platinum Plugs. I thought thet our cars required Platinum Plugs? Could someone please give me advice on this.
Thanks

SteveGT1
01-24-2004, 05:50 PM
They do recommend Plat. plugs. The T-body and Fuel injectio cleaning is a good idea but...ANY dealer will try to sell you this service if they see your car is "mature". In my opnion the T-body cleaning is a waste of money unless it's done properly. There is a good chance that the garage is going to remove your airbox and sensors, dump a can of combustion cleaner in your T-body and state that the body is now clean. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your garage is going to do this but the most effective way of cleaning the T-body is...Removing the airbox, sensors and the actual T-body. Then taking the T-body apart and manually cleaning it. Then you put it back together and mount it into the proper position. You should then turn your GA on and dump 2 cans of CC cleaner into the T-body and then turn your car off. The major problem with these serives is that people don't let the CC cleaner "rest" within the engine. The longer it sits in there, the better your results will be. Leave the car off for a few hours and then turn it on. Look out! because there will be an assload of carbon blowing out the exhaust pipes. When I do my servicing it looks like I blow my engine as I'm driving down the road:-) Please remember that this is the way I complete a T-body service, if your not familar with the steps and or screw something up, don't blame me heheh. Bottom line, yes, it's benifical to get this service complete but not at every oil change, if you know what I mean.

Panacea
01-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Unless you are doing some major heavy engine mods, stick with the Stock AC Delco plugs. Whomever is doing your tuneup is a complete focktard, and I wouldn't trust my car with them. I mean, the car frickin comes from the factory with AC Delco Platinums, and they're telling you to not bother? WTF?

ranger1
01-25-2004, 03:39 PM
The person that gave me the price was from Pep Boys.

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 01:07 AM
The pep boys guy is a moron.. obviously doesn't know that the GA comes factory installed with Platinum spark plugs..

71Z28RS
01-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Definitely go with the platinums.

action
01-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Your car will eat a set of regular plugs.

Panacea
01-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Do they not check their computers at Pep Boys? I know at autozone they look things up and it lists OEM parts, and then aftermarket ones...

stanjk3
01-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by 71Z28RS
Definitely go with the platinums.

Just not Bosch Platinums. Ran fine for a few months but gave me an SES light due to misfires last weekend. And I'm not the only person who's had problems with them.
At the Autozone I went to, Rapidfires were cheaper than the AC Delco Platinums they had.

I wouldn't go back to that shop. I'm guessing they told you not to use Platinums due to the shorter lifespan of non-Platinum plugs. Thus you have to come back sooner, more $$$ for them.

I paid $106 for a spark plug and fuel filter change, much better than the $220 or so I paid at the stealership.

silverbullet
01-27-2004, 11:02 PM
go to sears, buy some tools, change them yourself...save a bunch of $$...and you'll still have the tools ...

acdc1a
01-28-2004, 12:29 PM
I agree. Plugs are a pretty easy fix to do by yourself. Usually they are gapped properly from the factory, but I still check before I put them in. Should be a 20 min project tops.

AznGA
01-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by ranger1
Hi, I just took my car in to have a tune up done. They quoted me a price of 169.00 which includes the plugs,cleaning the throttle body nad cleaning the fuel injection. The price is not the problem, the problem is that they told me that theyh would not recommend using Platinum Plugs. I thought thet our cars required Platinum Plugs? Could someone please give me advice on this.
Thanks
How many miles do you have?

ranger1
01-29-2004, 06:51 PM
50,000. I was told to try and change them every 30,000