Having problems with 'check engine' light coming on.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with 'check engine' light coming on..

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 12:17 AM
so, what do you all recommend about getting the "check engine" light off? Should I pay to have the codes scanned to see whatsup?

I bought the car this way about 4 months or so ago and it came on after I was driving on the highway and the dealer said it was a common fault on the grandams.. a friend of mine says to change the spark plugs and wires, that should fix my problem. Also, because my idle is abit hard when I'm at a complete stop and the mechanic told me before that one of the cylinders is misfiring and only way to really find out whatsup is to do a code scan but it cost like $40 bucks or something.. is it worth it?

I heard autozone does it for free but the last one I went to said they don't? hmmmm

Thanks!

mr_eh
01-26-2004, 12:24 AM
how many times do we have to tell you its a misfire?

this is at least the third thread you've posted about this and you still haven't gotten the misfire fixed?

mr_eh
01-26-2004, 12:25 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27371

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26399

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26400

this is the fourth offical thread about this, just incase anyone thinks i am a little out of my ****ing mind for being so angry...

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Hey,

It never hurts to get other peoples comments... but yeah, I went to have it checked out and all these places were asking me to pay them to have the code scans.. I was asking NOW if I should do it or should I just say its ( from what you tell me ) the misfiring in the cylinder like the other mechanic thought but he said he didn't know FOR SURE until they did a code scan.. so basically, my question, should I go ahead and get a code scan and waste money for no reason if it turns out IT IS a mis firing in the cylinder? So, what do you recommend me doing? Get the cylinder fixed without a code scan or get a code scan, mostlikely find out the problem is what I thought it was and STILL end up paying MORE money to have it fixed? Hope you understand the situation I'm in.. not to mention my damn window recently is having problems and now I need to get the damn thing fixed.. money doesn't grow on tress ya know!

Fixing cars are NOT cheap! That really sucks.

mr_eh
01-26-2004, 12:32 AM
if you get the code scan it will tell you what cylinder is misfiring, please get your computer read and checked, it would be really unfortunate for you to **** up the longevity of your engine because you are taking your sweet ass time getting it fixed, SORRY if i sound angry i am just trying to drill it into your head that you need to get this fixed ( i had the same problem ) 550$ later i dont, fixing cars is VERY expensive...

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Also another thing.. I was getting other opinions that its my spark plugs and wires that need to be replaced.. so, now I don't even know who the hell to believe considering that these two options could be the result of me having the light coming on and the hard idling...

mr_eh
01-26-2004, 12:36 AM
you have a 2.4 i think if i remember correctly, you dont have spark plug wires. just tell the mech to drop new ones in first before they try anything else, but its most likely gonna be a clogged injector and thats gonna be a pain in the noots. my injector was mis-spraying, it sprayed normal when you looked at it but it was misfiring like a sonnofofaobbitch. just get the mech to fix it for you if you dont feel confident doing it yourself, whatever $ you spend fixing it is a lot less then how much a new engine costs.

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 12:42 AM
I have the 3400SF V6 3.4 liter engine if that helps.. also, thanks for the info. I am getting my ass up to go ahead and fix it.. Look, I even ordered the whole regulator and motor for my freaken window to fix so I'm waiting on that in the mail.. all the window places told me they don't sell the plastic clips which I needed to begin with ( its what broke ) so I had to buy the whole thing.. now, I find out its possible I can buy just the clips and one of the members on here will be finding the part number.. oh this is JUST great!! Trying to fix my window, take my freaken light off, see whatsup with the car... cost to much money but gosh damnit, I love this car! She cost to much to maintain though with all these recent problems.. damn

mr_eh
01-26-2004, 12:45 AM
550$ for misfire +100 (long story)
290 or 390 for window fix (happened to me in the rain)
new tires all around, 1 deflated on front and back at seperate times...
a ton of other problems i cant even think of, ridiculous stuff breaking

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 01:04 AM
Sorry to hear.. :(

-Gabriel

I'm gonna go ahead asap and find out what the hell is exactly wrong with my car.. I'm gonna start out with the code scan to see the exact problem.

stanjk3
01-26-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by GRocks10

I heard autozone does it for free but the last one I went to said they don't? hmmmm

I just had mine read for free at Autozone. My guess is they were busy and didn't want to be bothered.
I also have rough idle and SES light casued by misfire.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28823

Will probably go with AC Delco Rapidfires or Platinums, whichever is cheaper.

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by stanjk3
I just had mine read for free at Autozone. My guess is they were busy and want to be bothered.
I also have rough idle and SES light casued by misfire.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28823

Will probably go with AC Delco Rapidfires or Platinums, whichever is cheaper.

Thanks for the info. :)

Its probably because I went on a day that they were pack with customers like crazy! I gotta go on a day when there not so crowded.

stanjk3
01-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Picked up AC Delco Rapidfires for ~$26 at Autozone, the other AC Delco plugs they had were the double Platinums for ~$7/plug.
Just had them installed along with a new fuel filter, car runs a lot smoother. :thumbs:
Found a shop with someone who aparently knows how to change spark plugs, only took them 1 hr. Stealership where I bought the car took 2.5 hours to change plugs and wires, charged me ~$220. Mechanic wasn't smart enough to remove the STB first. :tool:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you check the box to make sure all the plugs are the correct ones. At Autozone they gave me one that had a Bosch Platinum plug in it instead. Last time I bought plugs at Pep Boys I didn't check and they only gave me 5.