Gas [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gas

kevin231
01-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Quick question does it really matter what type of gas we use in our car, im just asking cause i usually use regular, but the gas station was out so they were giving their sunco octane 94 for the same price as regular. I filled up dont notice any difference. I know are cars recommend regular but is there any difference with using supreme?

Molson
01-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Nah, not really. It burns hotter. Some people say they feel more response and pwer with higher octane fuels. but for our cars, 87 oct regular is enough.

safemode
01-26-2004, 01:29 PM
yes, your computer likes lower octane. Higher octane will either require the computer to advance the spark and your plugs and computer may not like doing that (and you wont reap all the added benefits of higher octane gas) or you may not be burning the fuel long enough (higher octane requires longer burning) which means you're wasting fuel. I've tried supreme/premium, noticed certain hesitations in the motor when trying to gun it. Plus (89) seems to be a magic spot for stock setups. Your car will run fine on 87, in fact it wants to run on 87, i just dont trust all the gas i fill the car up with to be actually 87 octane, that way even crappy 89 gas is still good enough to not cause knocking or anything that would retard the sparks.

Blackrider
01-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Unless you are running higher compression, Like boost or just milled heads/High comp Pistons there is no need for higher octain fuel.

RedGT2004
01-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by safemode
yes, your computer likes lower octane. Higher octane will either require the computer to advance the spark and your plugs and computer may not like doing that (and you wont reap all the added benefits of higher octane gas) or you may not be burning the fuel long enough (higher octane requires longer burning) which means you're wasting fuel. I've tried supreme/premium, noticed certain hesitations in the motor when trying to gun it. Plus (89) seems to be a magic spot for stock setups. Your car will run fine on 87, in fact it wants to run on 87, i just dont trust all the gas i fill the car up with to be actually 87 octane, that way even crappy 89 gas is still good enough to not cause knocking or anything that would retard the sparks.

I notice the same thing when I would used higher octane. Now I just put regular and save a dollar or two.

AznGA
01-26-2004, 07:55 PM
I use 89 all the time.
But ya, our car is made for 87.
But here in Iowa, there are a lot of gas stations with 89.5 instead.

AznGA
01-27-2004, 05:34 PM
I use 89 or 89.5 because it's cheaper than 87.

VaGT
01-27-2004, 09:42 PM
I use 87. I can't tell the difference between 87 and 92, but I can tell the difference in brands.

When I have to use something other than the best (Texaco), I can feel the difference. IMO, it is much more important to avoid the cheapo off brand gasolines than it is to get higher octane.

balludc
01-27-2004, 10:09 PM
^^^ yes... you do have to pick your gas stations carefully... some places get cheap gas which is DIRTY. just kills your injectors.

-dc

71Z28RS
01-28-2004, 07:22 AM
I use 89 in it all the time. I was getting some detonation using 87. The car runs great with 89. But yes, it was designed for 87.

Mike Jung
01-28-2004, 08:45 AM
About 87 vs. 89 Octane Gasoline ? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10606)