Window Guides/Regulator/Sash [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Window Guides/Regulator/Sash

styxvolt
01-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Hey guys. I did a little research today while I was at my Pontiac dealer. Turns out that they now make the parts just for the window guides (track) and the sash (part that connects to the window). Before you would have to pay for the entire assembly kit which would run ya around 200-300 dollars. I am sure that someone has already posted this and all, but I am just making sure that everyone knew.... Here are the part numbers and prices for the parts :

Driver Side Guide :
12335482..............33.32 each (You need 2)
Window Sash:
22622377..............4.00 each (You need 2)

All together just to fix your window track, its going to cost around 80 dollars. This will fix the clunking noise, or if your window is all slanted. It means you broke those little stupid white plastic clips...

GRocks10
01-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the info.. after I have already ordered the whole assembly already on ebay.. :( Anyway, do you think I can offer the seller to refund my money and pay his insertion fees, hoping that maybe he hasn't sent out my stuff yet? I doubt it..

Also one more thing.. do I have to buy the Driver Side Guide if its just the sash that broke? ( one of those plastic clips broke ).. instead of having to buy the drive sider guide and the sash? If I have to.. it ends up pretty much costing the same for the whole assembly considering I'm getting it on eBay for alot cheaper than those auto window places asking for $250! Atleast now, I just pay to install a new regulator and motor, do it myself or have a friend who knows how.. I'll give him some cash for helping me out. :)

I learned a lesson!

Turbodreams-se
04-12-2004, 06:39 PM
sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but did you ever figure out if you need the guide and sash, or just the sash? I have the same problem.

AaronGAGT
04-12-2004, 06:59 PM
sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but did you ever figure out if you need the guide and sash, or just the sash? I have the same problem.

90% of the time its just the stupid cheap guides that break... I dont see those sashes ever BREAKING (they're designed pretty good), however I can say that the only reason why you'd have to replace the sashes is if the epoxy that holds them to the window breaks off.

Turbodreams-se
04-13-2004, 12:38 AM
cool. I am pretty sure that something broke and fell down into the door... I will be pulling it apart as soon as i get off work in the morning. Thanks and I will let everyone know how it goes.

wade walter
04-13-2004, 01:13 AM
yup, it's the white plastic thingys.try a1electric.com for a replacement assembly.was only 110 bucks.mine broke and i figured might as well replace the whole dern thing .

Doctor Ouchie
04-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Sorry to re-ressurect this thread, but are those white plastic clips (are these the "sashes"?) universal? I.e., can I use the good ones in my passenger side door, on my driverside window?

AaronGAGT
04-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Sorry to re-ressurect this thread, but are those white plastic clips (are these the "sashes"?) universal? I.e., can I use the good ones in my passenger side door, on my driverside window?

White plastic clips = guides
Brown/black plastic thats epoxied to the glass = sashes

I'm almost for sure they are universal... but why on earth would you do that? Then you'd just have to buy new ones for your pass. side..

Turismo
05-04-2004, 08:39 PM
My driver side window fell in to the door. Currently awaiting parts...needed 2 sashes and 2 white plastic guides. Order from www.gmpartsdirect.com
The glides were only $18.99 each plus s/h. and the identical part number from the dealer.

Did anyone try this fix themselves? How did it go? The dealer claims four hours to fix it!!

Vince
05-04-2004, 08:52 PM
I put a whole new one on mine, wasn't that hard. Now the sash you guys are talking about, I don't see why you would have to buy a new one. One of mines came off, causeing the window to tilt, which then caused that clip to break, causing the window to fall down. When I installed the new set up, I just cleaned the original sash, put some glass glue, black stuff, and rolled the window all the way up and let it sit for a day before I used it. That was over a year ago, and still holding.

AaronGAGT
05-04-2004, 10:00 PM
I put a whole new one on mine, wasn't that hard. Now the sash you guys are talking about, I don't see why you would have to buy a new one. One of mines came off, causeing the window to tilt, which then caused that clip to break, causing the window to fall down. When I installed the new set up, I just cleaned the original sash, put some glass glue, black stuff, and rolled the window all the way up and let it sit for a day before I used it. That was over a year ago, and still holding.

My sashes actually broke in half. so i needed new ones =)

Vince
05-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Well then, I guess you would need a new sash if it actually broke, but if just comes off like mine did, re-use it. Those are metal though aren't they? Bummer though.

Doctor Ouchie
05-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Well went and bought the parts from the dealer.

Possibly the most over-complicated and poorly designed object of automotive engineering I've ever seen. Anyhow, I didn't get any install instructions from the dealer, I ended up installing the guides backwards, and in the process nearly broke them switching the pieces around. After all the fuss in getting the guides properly attached and bolted, I find the rear end of the window not going up fully, leaving a very small area for water to travel into. Managed to fix that by force.

Three days later the front sash goes out, then the rear sash loses its epoxy bond. Back to the dealership for a sash. Once again basically doing things without instruction, used a plastic welder (epoxy) to bond the sashes, still have the same issue of the rear not coming up fully, but I glued the glass in a position as to negate that. Hopefully the epoxy will hold out, because all this window work is unbelievably annoying.

Sashs: About $8 and change each
Guides: About $25 and change each

AaronGAGT
05-06-2004, 01:12 AM
Those are metal though aren't they?

Nope. They're a hard plastic.

Turbodreams-se
05-06-2004, 10:05 AM
strange. the ones on mine were metal :wtf.... unless you are talking about the part that is glued directly to the window.

AaronGAGT
05-06-2004, 10:21 AM
unless you are talking about the part that is glued directly to the window.

Yes... thats what the sash is.

Kdawg207
05-06-2004, 10:34 AM
what is the part that causes scratches on the glass

AaronGAGT
05-06-2004, 10:09 PM
what is the part that causes scratches on the glass

its the part that has the felt material IIRC

chevyreb
10-15-2006, 12:24 PM
OK anyone got some how to info on replacing the front plastic white guide? Does the window motor and all have to be removed or does it just like snap in?

Thanks

Y2KGA
10-15-2006, 01:25 PM
OK anyone got some how to info on replacing the front plastic white guide? Does the window motor and all have to be removed or does it just like snap in?

Thanks

The guide is attached to a metal square on the regulator cable. You can just wiggle it off. When I tried it, I already had the regulator out of the car. At a minimum you will need to tape the window to the door so the glass doesn't get in the way.

Sleepwalkr
07-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I have a couple questions for you guys that have been through this. Yes, my window fell into the door, blah blah blah. So now I'm ordering the white plastic clips from gmpartsdirect.com.

When I put in the part #12335482 from the 1st post in this thread in their search box, it changes to part #22697623. I emailed them and they said that part # had been suspended by GM. It does come up and I can add it to "my cart" for like $21 and change. Thats cool, so I need 2 of them. Fine. I asked the guy for a picture of the guide/clip and he sends me the drawing below. I just wanna make sure I'm not spending $54 in vain cuz I got all stupid on this. The illustration doesn't quite look like the white plastic "guide" we all need, so I wanna make sure before I order it....cuz its a non-returnable item.

Thanks guys.

lone_wolf025
07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
If you need the sash clips that mount to the glass on the window (I assume the regulator parts are still good) its number 25. Typically that plastic clip breaks and needs to be replaced.

If those clips are broken it shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks to purchase new ones. I did this on my car a while back and the clips were like $2 and change IIRC.

Edit-

The pic you were sent looks like it is for a 4 door. The coupe has 2 plastic sash clips per window.

Sleepwalkr
07-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Actually, it is the white plastic guides I need. Its just that the highlighted blue pic the guy sent me doesn't look like the clips, even though they're in the right spot.

CinergyTom
09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
So I went to replace my guides, which i bought from gmpartsdirect, and I discovered that one of the window sashes had come off the window.

No biggie... i purchased a replacement sash from advanced auto just in case...

I took out the regulator to examine it and found that the wire was completely off the pulleys.

After playing with the cable for an hour, i still cannot get the cable on all four pulleys at the same time (only 3). No matter how hard I stretch the thing, i am having no luck.

When you guys went to replace your guides, was the cable on all four pulleys? Or do I need to buy a brand new regulator unit?

Willy_HSV
10-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Question... How do you remove the window (drivers - front) in order to replace the sash clip???

2002GrandAmSE
10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey guys. I did a little research today while I was at my Pontiac dealer. Turns out that they now make the parts just for the window guides (track) and the sash (part that connects to the window). Before you would have to pay for the entire assembly kit which would run ya around 200-300 dollars. I am sure that someone has already posted this and all, but I am just making sure that everyone knew.... Here are the part numbers and prices for the parts :

Driver Side Guide :
12335482..............33.32 each (You need 2)
Window Sash:
22622377..............4.00 each (You need 2)

All together just to fix your window track, its going to cost around 80 dollars. This will fix the clunking noise, or if your window is all slanted. It means you broke those little stupid white plastic clips...

OR....

You could order the whole regulator from a1electric.com and get a new assembly which comes with the white clips (2) for $74.00 shipped from CA to PA (might be cheaper elsewhere). Plus they have a How-to specifically on a Grand Am. I just replaced my passenger side yesterday and it ran me all of about an hour and a half (my first time and I needed to wait for someone to lower the window into the clips).

Just my $.02, I hate giving the dealer anymore money than they already rip people off for.

Czcrd
11-18-2007, 01:36 PM
So I may just be retarded, but I can't find the sashes anywhere...
I believe both of the sashes are broken including the retainers that attach the sash to the regulator.
So... if anyone has any better info on where to find just the retainer and sash, it would be much appreciated.
thank you kindly

Vic