Flywheel/Starter Problems!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel/Starter Problems!!

bumpn_gt
01-27-2004, 01:58 PM
I started my GA the other day, and it let out the loudest squeel I have heard in my life.....turned off the key, and the car stayed on!!! So I disconnected the battery and it finally turned off. So I got under the car and took off the starter........I notice the starter drive assembly is a little chipped up. I run my finger across the flywheel and I feel that there is a lip on the flywheel. So I guess I have to get a new starter drive assembly and get to spend the night filing the flywheel smooth and hopefully go from there.

What was happening was that the starter drive was not disengaging from the flywheel and making the noise...........anyone else have something like this happen???? I am just afraid of having to pull the motor and having to replace the flywheel :crying:

Blackrider
01-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by bumpn_gt
I started my GA the other day, and it let out the loudest squeel I have heard in my life.....turned off the key, and the car stayed on!!! So I disconnected the battery and it finally turned off. So I got under the car and took off the starter........I notice the starter drive assembly is a little chipped up. I run my finger across the flywheel and I feel that there is a lip on the flywheel. So I guess I have to get a new starter drive assembly and get to spend the night filing the flywheel smooth and hopefully go from there.

What was happening was that the starter drive was not disengaging from the flywheel and making the noise...........anyone else have something like this happen???? I am just afraid of having to pull the motor and having to replace the flywheel :crying:

Awww that sucks man, Thats going to be a pain in the ass to fix!

bumpn_gt
01-27-2004, 02:30 PM
I know it will be........I just don't understand how it happened??? I have never done anything with my starter!

silverbullet
01-27-2004, 11:23 PM
same thing happened to my mustang. the bendix in the starter stuck open and the flywheel chewed it up. i had the starter rebuilt at a local shop, never did anything to the flywheel, everythings been fine for the past four years or more...

that noise will sure wake you up when you're trying to leave a party in the morning after a night of drunkeness... also sucks having to work on your car with a hangover!

juanvan
02-09-2004, 09:20 PM
sucks having to work on your car with a hangover!

totaly agree with that one ~ even worse when its someone else car being hunover

i woulf have the fly wheel checked out for cracks before going to replacing it, might just go with the starter