Brakes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

TamiGrandAM
01-27-2004, 02:45 PM
I have a 2001 Grand Am SE... The front brakes were replaced by my Husband in November 2003... new rotors (mine were warped) and new brake pads...

First off.. my brakes have been squealing periodically since they were replaced... I figure maybe that is because my Husband did not put anti-squeal on the pads when installed... but I will take any thoughts or ideas as well...

Secondly.. In the past week.. the front brakes have been grinding every so often.. Not all the time.. Just sporadically.. Not sure what is going on as these are new brakes...
Help??? Thoughts?? Ideas???

thanks in advance..

:)

eren00gt
01-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Not sure about the squealing, but for the grinding I would check your tire pressure. If you have the original Badyear RSA tires then they maybe a little low on air and your are getting the noise you speak of from the ribs on the tire rubbing against the rim. I thought at one time my brakes were getting bad like that and my tech at my dealership said to check air pressure. Sure enough they were a few pounds low. It can be worse on cold days cause the tires don't get all that warm and don't expand as much.
Just giving my .02 worth

preed4962
01-27-2004, 08:07 PM
The squealing definitely could be from a lack of anti-squeal compound (blue goo you put on the back of the pad) or the lack of antisqueal shims that usually arent on the lower price aftermarket brake pads. There are two theories about the grinding, there is a very very very slim chance that the pads could have been installed backwards, but my guess is that would be a very pronounced grinding. the second is the grinding is actually coming from the rear. just my 2cents, thanks

BLACK99GT/ROB
01-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by preed4962
The squealing definitely could be from a lack of anti-squeal compound (blue goo you put on the back of the pad) or the lack of antisqueal shims that usually arent on the lower price aftermarket brake pads. There are two theories about the grinding, there is a very very very slim chance that the pads could have been installed backwards, but my guess is that would be a very pronounced grinding. the second is the grinding is actually coming from the rear. just my 2cents, thanks

The squealing sometimes is just going to happen no mater what you do since the pads nowadays have so much metal in them,mine do it.
As for the grinding the pads is a very good thing to look for,I just had the same grinding,grabbing noise with mine,it was so bad that I thought my rotor was warped,but I took the brakes off and discovered they were put on wrong,the inner and outer pads had to be switched around and that fixed my noise.

silverbullet
01-27-2004, 10:53 PM
i had the "grinding" problem too. it was from the goodyear eagle RSA (Really Suck A**). replaced the tires, no more grinding noise...fyi

BLACK99GT/ROB
01-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by silverbullet
i had the "grinding" problem too. it was from the goodyear eagle RSA (Really Suck A**). replaced the tires, no more grinding noise...fyi

I had the defective RSA's too,but it wasn't a gringing noise I had,it was a softer sound,more like a rubbing noise.