Remove NY Emissions to get to plugs? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Remove NY Emissions to get to plugs?

Fenderman
01-27-2004, 08:56 PM
hey, anyone with the NY emissions crap on their car, try to remove it to get to the back plugs? is it hard? I can't get the plug off, i have the socket over the plug (using 2 extentions and a swivel spark plug socket) but i cant get enough leverage on the wrachet to get it out (back left one when standing on front of the car). Any suggestions? Would i be able to get to them if i just removed the coils? if so how complicated is it to remove the coils?

Thanks
2000 GAGT

71Z28RS
01-28-2004, 06:20 AM
I didn't realize that NY had different emissions than everyone else.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but on ours, I removed the coil pack just to make things easier on my knuckles. I know alot of these guys say you don't have to though. But, there is alot of crap back there over the plugs. To remove the coil pack, it should just be a couple of wire harness connectors and 4 bolts. Just make sure to lable the plug wires so that you know where to plug in the new ones.

Hope that helps.

klc317
01-28-2004, 02:45 PM
I managed to get mine out with simply a 3/8 ratchet, a short extension, and a 5/8 spark plug socket. I didn't even use a swivel. I did have to use a short peice of pipe to break one loose (maybe 6" long), although theres not much room there for that. You just have to "see with your hands" because I'm sure like me you're not a contortionist. The only thing I had was a sore back from having to lean way over the engine while keeping my head under the hood. Two plugs are angled this way: / / and one is angled this way \.