car shut off ...wtf? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car shut off ...wtf?

mr_eh
01-30-2004, 07:17 AM
was rocking the car out of the snow this morning, prior to my 200 foot angst burnout after rocking out of thte snow for an hour, my car shut off as i was revving it up to get out? the hot oil/water? a genie bottle with a droplet coming out! lit up and the car went dead, no chimes no nothing ... oI! i turned it back on and it was fine, but what would have shut the car off like that?

and i wish i had a camera for that exit out of the spot...

Molson
01-30-2004, 07:32 AM
the bottle with the drip is the oil light.

oil light = teh bad.

[C-Tec]
01-30-2004, 07:52 AM
I had the same problem, minus the oil light. But my car automatically shut off when I apparently revved it too hard, trying to get it out of so much snow. I rocked her out of it nice though.. and the car works fine. I just had the oil changed a few days before that incident though.

mr_eh
01-30-2004, 10:34 AM
i have brand new oil in it, i assume the oil got too hot, BUT the car shutting off?

i was pretty ****ed my whole **** was burried in snow, if my car was dropped i would not be in school today. but whatever

Panacea
01-30-2004, 06:17 PM
I'd double check to make sure you've still go oil in there.

Would the light go off if there was too much pressure buildup?

Irate
01-30-2004, 07:28 PM
The only thing I can think of is that the oil may have "sloshed" away from the "low oil" sending unit... which would imply you had no oil. I don't think the oil pan on the GA's has baffles, so its possible.

Just double-check your oil level and be done with it.

2003GAGT
01-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Hmm...maybe the oil sending unit got screwed up when you were rocking it in the snow.

Just an idea...

mr_eh
01-31-2004, 12:04 AM
oil level is fine i drove to and from school with no problems, rocking it would have made the most sense, i wasn't too concerned about it but i just thought it was itneresting it killed the car like that

edit: good thinking rerun.