Misfire!...Plugs? Wires?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Misfire!...Plugs? Wires??

ShortysTRM
01-30-2004, 11:42 AM
My fiance has an Alero and it has all kinds of problems. The transmission has been going crazy for a while now (not shifting correctly, lazy 1-2 shifts, etc) but now it has what seems to be a misfire. If the car is in a high gear and under acceleration that is not quite hard enough to downgear the trans, it starts to jump, as if its running out of gas or about to stall. My 93 GAGT did that after I didn't drive it for like 3 months but I just changed the plug wires and it was fine (MSD of course). My car was misfiring (or something) the other day, but not for long and not since then. Her car still has stock plugs and wires but has like 95K miles on it. Any ideas anyone?

Spirok
01-30-2004, 12:23 PM
I had the same problem on my 2000 Grand Am and I changed the plug wires and now it runs better than ever. Hope that helps.

Dr_Kyle
01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
New plugs, wires, and a good injector cleaning (dealership or mechanic style, not just a gas additive deal) will work 90% of the time to clear up misfires. It's very unlikely that your coil packs are bad at only 95k miles.

atc3434
01-30-2004, 03:09 PM
What exactly does a dealership or mechanic style injector cleaning consist of?

biggnome
01-30-2004, 03:31 PM
The "dealership" cleaning runs the vehicle on a cleaning/gas solution to dissolve the deposits. Also check the towers on you coils. They somtimes develop corrosion that will cause this type of misfire.