F#$%!!!! Car Wont Start!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : F#$%!!!! Car Wont Start!!!

MJSilver00
01-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Im getting really sick of this happening, if anyone can give me any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Every time it gets really cold (anything in the single digits) and my car sits overnight it doesnt want to start. I usually remote start it from my apartment in the morning but when its that cold it tries it 3 times and the car doesnt start. So I will go down there and try to start it with the key, and it will take like 10 minutes to get it to turn over...if it does turn over before I kill the battery trying to start it. I just recently put in a new battery and fuel filter, but this is still happening. Ive tried throwing some HEET in there when i know its gonna be a cold night...but no difference...anyone have any ideas?

2000GA
01-30-2004, 05:13 PM
what kind of battery? has the alternator been replaced or did u try a autozone elctraical test yet?

MJSilver00
01-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Alternator hasnt been replaced. It was doing this with the stock delco battery, all the time....like if it was anywhere even in the low teens outside. So I replaced it with a sears die hard gold battery and it was a lot better. It will start after sitting overnight in colder weather than it used to, and this is the first time ive had the problem since getting the new battery (it was 1 degree outside and -17 windchill last night), but my girlfriend's neon started this morning, and here i am trying for 10 minutes to get my car to turn over.

02PONtiac!
01-30-2004, 05:47 PM
It might be a fuel problem. Somehow your car is thinking that it's a normal summer day but the true outside temp is in the single digits. The fuel mixture or something must be wrong?

MJSilver00
01-30-2004, 06:26 PM
hmm...that is interesting. it sounds like its trying to start, like i will hear a cylinder fire here and there but it doesnt catch. i was thinking about a fuel problem before like the filter or frozen lines, but ive addressed those. so what controls the fuel system with regards to the outside temp?

02PONtiac!
01-30-2004, 06:29 PM
to be honest I am not sure but I know sometimes a car will be getting to much gas when trying to start. I remember having problems with my old quadra jet carburaters on my chevy motors. The choke would always be in the wrong place and it wasn't getting like to much air when the engine was cold. Sorry pro I can't help you with the technical terms. Good Luck

2000GA
01-30-2004, 06:39 PM
did u charge the new battery before putting it in? either or hook it up to a charger and give it a good charge.

MJSilver00
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
yea, and it was fine until just today. this is the first day its been so cold since i got it, but we have had plenty of days where it was cold enough it woudnt have started with the other battery. i can throw it on the charger just make sure. (it does crank really strong with the new batt...just doesnt want to start running).

EBlend
01-30-2004, 10:46 PM
using 10W-30 oil by any chance?

Kodeblue
01-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by EBlend
using 10W-30 oil by any chance? would that make a difference for him? Just asking cause that is what I am using.

gagt13
01-30-2004, 10:56 PM
umm try usina fuel injector cleaner, also if you kno its gonna b cold out make sure you have a full tank off gas, and also pump the gas pedal wen the car is off so ur lines are full of fuel , mayb the line is freezing. if your line is freezing that means u got water in ur take , simply pure some rubbing alcohol, n that will get rid of the water

gobraves02002
01-30-2004, 11:01 PM
also a side note, my remote start has a timer where i can set it to turn the car on every couple of hours or when the car reaches a certain temp, might wanna look into it
also sounds like problems i was having when my fuel pump was going bad

tenspeed
01-31-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by silverbullet00
would that make a difference for him? Just asking cause that is what I am using.

Yes, the 10w-30 is thicker than 5W-30 when cold. That is what the first number means. The thicker oil takes more energy to turn over when cold.

MJSilver00
01-31-2004, 02:07 PM
I use 5W-30 in the winter. Also, Ive tried fuel injector cleaner, and some fuel treatment that is supposed to remove water. Whats strange is since I got my new battery it will start in colder weather than it used to with the old one, just not if its anything around 0. I dont know if I should try some engine lube treatment like slick 50 or somethin to make it easier to turn?

jrnadel
04-06-2004, 02:55 PM
tenspeed, my prblem started yesterday. started right up this morning. now won't start at all

action
04-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Use your block heater if so equipped. Under the hood near the air box you should see an electrical plug in. Plug this into an extension cord then into your house. THis will keep the engine warm and much easier to start. Also use gas line antifreeze. You have to put it in the tank then drive around for awhile to ensure that the mixed gas is actually in the line.

jrnadel
04-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the help, but I don't have a heater block.