Help ! I'm stranded! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help ! I'm stranded!

PontiacGT
01-30-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm stuck in Moorhead at Concordia because my car won't start. it was -36 last nite and there are so many people out there that are trying to get their cars going well im 2.5 hours away from home and here i am......alone. well i had another car try and jump me but no go, she turned over and sputtered like she was gonna fire but never did. i put a bottle of isupropl or whatever **** in my tank yesterday before i left so that my gas lines wouldnt freeze, so i am not sure what it is......towing services are all tied up and even if i could get a tow truck, where would i tow it to? i think it just needs to warm up but.......anybody have suggestions?

kubiache
01-30-2004, 04:54 PM
I think if you hold a lighter under your fuel pump for a few minutes it'll get it warm enough.

I'm kidding, please don't do that. ;)

Seriously though, if it's cranking but not starting, chances are you're right about it being the fuel. Why did you use isopropyl? Is that what's in HEET? Isn't isopropyl just rubbing alcohol?

How full is your tank? If it's not near full, you may want to try putting more fuel in. At this point adding more HEET probably won't help.

This is a question probably best left for the Canadians, eh?

02PONtiac!
01-30-2004, 05:13 PM
I don't know if this is safe but I know some of our vehicles at work have an either start button to use when it's hella cold out. If the car is cranking over but just won't start maybe look into the either stuff. Just be careful because it is very flammable. I think either is pretty much some of that starting fluid you can buy in a can at the local auto parts store. Anybody else have any suggestions about either? Is it safe? I don't want anyone blowing there hand of because gave a suggestion. Oh yeah one more thing. Do you have a heater block? If you have one go plug it in and let it warm up! Good Luck

2003GAGT
01-30-2004, 07:00 PM
How much gas is in the tank?

tenspeed
01-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Put a light bulb under the engine as close to the metal as you can. It will warm the oil so the engine turns faster. Toss an old blanket over the top if you have one.

Ether is safe enough, just a short squirt as the engine is turning over. It goes by the name of starting fluid.

Keep the battery charged or it will freeze.

PontiacGT
01-30-2004, 11:45 PM
i have half a tank of gas left, no i dont have a block heater, and even if i did im in the middle of a parking lot. im not sure what to do im so frustrated all of these tow trucks are taken plus where would i tow my car to? back to central minnesota? im so ****ed

grandam-wpg
01-31-2004, 08:31 AM
Any car/truck rental places there? If you can, rent a truck with one of those car tow things, hook it up and take the car home. If not ask a friend of parent to rent one from where they live. This way you are not stranded and you can get your car home way cheaper then towing.

Jagey
01-31-2004, 08:49 AM
for the question posted earlier, isopropyl is what gas line antifreeze is made of.

71Z28RS
02-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by grandam-wpg
Any car/truck rental places there? If you can, rent a truck with one of those car tow things, hook it up and take the car home. If not ask a friend of parent to rent one from where they live. This way you are not stranded and you can get your car home way cheaper then towing.

From my experience, you won't find a car rental place that rents trucks/vans with trailer hitches. Their insurance won't allow their customers use their vehicles to tow. Too many people who don't know how to tow a trailer properly. The only way to get a hitch is to rent a 14 ft or longer u-haul truck.

As for the starting problem, since you're in the middle of a parking lot, I'd be tempted to buy an ac/dc converter and an extra car battery. Use the cigarette lighter and ac/dc converter to plug in a hairdryer to try to warm up the engine bay and fuel rails for as long as your battery holds out. The trouble light suggestion is a good idea too. Then swap in the new battery and try to start her up. Just an idea.

grandam-wpg
02-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 71Z28RS
From my experience, you won't find a car rental place that rents trucks/vans with trailer hitches. Their insurance won't allow their customers use their vehicles to tow. Too many people who don't know how to tow a trailer properly. The only way to get a hitch is to rent a 14 ft or longer u-haul truck.

I guess its a bit different up here. A friend of mine was stranded with his car so a friend rented a truck with a one of those fancy car tow trailer and towed it from Grand Forks back to Winnipeg with no issues from the boarder/customs and the car rental company.

Blackgt1
02-03-2004, 01:40 AM
Do what i did.. use your friends triple A card, get it towed into a garage, let it warm up a bit, then start it and drive away.

71Z28RS
02-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by grandam-wpg
I guess its a bit different up here. A friend of mine was stranded with his car so a friend rented a truck with a one of those fancy car tow trailer and towed it from Grand Forks back to Winnipeg with no issues from the boarder/customs and the car rental company.

You Canadians must be more trustworthy tow-ers than us Americans. Leave it to our lawsuit-happy society to ruin things for the average guy......