Headlight question.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Headlight question....

SHO 2NV
01-31-2004, 10:24 AM
After one of the factory bulbs burned out I installed some Silver Stars, what a difference!! Anyway, I was wondering what the metal insert in the headlight assembly is for. I'm talking about the sleeve that the bulb fits into. Would there be any lighting benefit with it removed or is it there to prevent the bulb from melting the lense?

Also, do you guys have to re-adjust your headlights when you replace the bulbs? I think I have mine aimed a little low because I can drive with my brights on and noone brights me back. Man, I've never ran into a car that was such a PITA just to put new bulbs in.

And while I'm asking.....what bulbs do you suggest for replacing the factory foglight bulbs? I don't want any thing that puts off blue light, I'm looking for something to match the light output or atleast the look of the Silver Stars.

Carmaniac
01-31-2004, 10:59 AM
Silver Star makes lightbulbs for our fog lights.

Jagey
01-31-2004, 11:01 AM
that metal thing around the bulb helps to focus the light. Taking it out makes the light go in all directions, but it doesn't damage anything

SHO 2NV
01-31-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Carmaniac
Silver Star makes lightbulbs for our fog lights.

Thanks, I was just discovering that on Sylvania's site. They are on backorder though......any retail stores keep these in stock?

Originally posted by Jagey

that metal thing around the bulb helps to focus the light. Taking it out makes the light go in all directions, but it doesn't damage anything

So keeping it in there would be a good idea then, eh?

Thanks for the quick response guys.
:thumbs:

Jagey
01-31-2004, 11:17 AM
if you really wanted to hide the black metal thing, you could always spray paint it chrome or silver or something like that.

AznGA
01-31-2004, 11:37 AM
SS bulbs can be found in local parts stores now. As long as you didn't turn that little gold knob on the housing, I don't think you would need to adjust it.

UNCTYPE-S
01-31-2004, 09:27 PM
PIAA.....X-TREME WHITE

tenspeed
02-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Pep Boys has a huge sale for the next two weeks on Silverstars. $12 after rebates and mail ins'. Check their flyer on their site - Pg 4.

Sleepwalkr
02-01-2004, 03:23 PM
I put in Hyper Industries 893 bulbs in my fogs about a month after I put in my silverstars and they match pretty close to perfect, and they're brighter cuz they're 11 watts more. However, I would imagine that the silverstar fog bulbs would match perfectly cuz its the same maker and coating.

klc317
02-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Ditch your factory foglights and get some Blazertech 3200 driving lights to put in their place. That makes one heck of a difference over any other bulb replacement you could put in the factory fogs. I have those and some Silverstars and my lighting is 200% improved!!