Mixing Green and Red anti-freeze [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Green and Red anti-freeze

juanvan
01-31-2004, 04:29 PM
My bro not thinking that it would matter mixed a little green with the total red system. What problems do u think this would cause with his system. Thanks in advance :)

Greed4Speed
01-31-2004, 08:35 PM
They are both ethelyne glycol based. Its just the Dexcool (orange stuff) has additives to inhibit corrosion and to lubricate the H2O pump. So mixing just means it won't last the supposed 150k miles. I personally wouldn't go that long with it anyway.

asepgrad98
02-01-2004, 06:47 AM
how many yrs/miles do you have on the coolant? You may want to flush it all out and go back to Dexcool. If not the service interval is now 2 years/24k miles

juanvan
02-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Thganks for this info, we flushed the system and adding more of the green stuff. I was just not looking to replace a rad. over it ;)
John

GCarr99GT
02-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Supposedly when green and orange coolant mix they gum up and get really thick, which could cause big problems...

Greed4Speed
02-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Did it, and it doesn't.

Off Prestone's website: "Also, if you are currently using Prestone Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant in your car's cooling system, and you add a conventional antifreeze/coolant, you will lose the extended protection. "

Mike_99GAGT
02-25-2004, 08:25 PM
FLUSH IT A.S.A.P......and only put in whats recommended!!!!!.......if there is a label on the resevoir that says "DEX-COOL ONLY", and you put something else in there, you will have problems.........

unless you want your entire engin to fill up with PEANUT BUTTER....and this can happen even with no oil leaks......just a warning

and make sure you keep it topped up......air in your system will speed up the problem

matts
02-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by GCarr99GT
Supposedly when green and orange coolant mix they gum up and get really thick, which could cause big problems...

that's what i've heard. but i did also hear that you can change from dex cool to the green stuff. you just have to flush your system really well to get all the orange stuff out. it's time to change to coolant in my girlfriends car and i'm gonna change it over to the green.

Molson
02-26-2004, 06:33 AM
yeah, it will gum up once mixed. Maybe the presone red and the prestone green can mix. But the GM red can't mix.

action
02-26-2004, 08:32 AM
You can't mix Green with factory DEX COOL. It will gum up something sick over time!!! Flush out really well adn then refill with what ever you wish.

Filter
02-26-2004, 12:44 PM
WTF. You can mix it all. The only thing it does is contaminate the system causing it to lose the longlife properties. But if you think longlife coolant actually exists, you're dead wrong anyway.