How long is too long? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long?

XMBlackGT1
01-31-2004, 09:45 PM
My 03 SCT is parked in a garage for the winter, and I have not had a chance to go over there and start it since right after thanksgiving. I am curious how long is too long to let it sit without being started? Its going to be tough to get to it now, there is a 7 foot tall pile of snow in front of my storage garage. Just curious if I am doing the car harm by not starting it frequently? Thanks- shawn

Jagey
01-31-2004, 10:23 PM
no problem not starting it. As long as you have fuel stabilizer in the tank. When you start it in the spring, you will have to recharge the dead battery, that's about it.

XMBlackGT1
01-31-2004, 10:26 PM
I guess that maybe I should buy some fuel stabilizer. I am going to try to get to it this week and at least start it and let it run for a bit.

GTLUVA
01-31-2004, 10:33 PM
I back my car out of the garage about every two weeks and let it run for 10 to 15 minutes. The only time I had it out on the road was to get my oil changed a couple of weeks ago and I had it out on Friday to go get my hood installed then I drove it straight home. I'm so scared its so darn cold out I don't want to be driving in snow with it. Knowing my luck someone might rear end me or I will slide right off the road.

Stacy

2000GA
01-31-2004, 10:36 PM
i ahvent started my 2000 since november. theres no reason to really except for the fun of turning the key. ill start it up in spring change the oil check the other fluids and everything will be fine just like it was last year. oh if anyone says there will be "flat spots in the tires" thats an old wives tale

Jagey
01-31-2004, 11:01 PM
nothing ever happens to the cars, my family has been storing their cars for many winters already. This is my second winter storing the grand am, my mom has stored her 1987 oldsmobile about 12 times already. Just feul stabilizer in the fall and an oil change in the spring.

Azrael
01-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Depending on the rundown rotection on the newer GA's you might need to reset your clock and radio settings too. Power is cut to them after 24 days of no ignition activity on mine. Not really a problem just a nuisance.

Greed4Speed
02-01-2004, 06:28 PM
As stated before, the problem would be with the fuel going bad and leaving varnish in the fuel system. Then the oil change in the spring. If you're worried about the battery just unhook it.

Tires will get temporary flat spots. The wife's GA gets them especially when its cold and the car sits for a couple of days. It just works out when you drive and the tires warm up, so it isn't anything perminent.

matts
02-01-2004, 10:28 PM
to keep the battery from going dead just unhook it. you're supposed to unhook batteries if you're not going to use them for like a month anyway. it'd be best to leave a full tank of gas in with some stabilizer, but since you've got 7 ft. of snow to get through its kind of late for that. unless you wanna carry it in 5 gallon at a time lol.

XMBlackGT1
02-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by matts
to keep the battery from going dead just unhook it. you're supposed to unhook batteries if you're not going to use them for like a month anyway. it'd be best to leave a full tank of gas in with some stabilizer, but since you've got 7 ft. of snow to get through its kind of late for that. unless you wanna carry it in 5 gallon at a time lol.

I may be able to get in there to put some stabilizer in it. I asked Pontiac today when I picked my black one up from its intake gasket repair, about unhooking the battery, and they told me that if I do, I have to have my radio unlocked by them when I re-hook it up, and then I will have to re-activate, and pay for my xm radio, which I dont want to have to do. Guess I will just go up and start it to keep it alive.

matts
02-02-2004, 08:31 PM
yeah, might not be worth the hassle. i'd just start it about once a week and let it run for 15-20 minutes

Jagey
02-02-2004, 11:02 PM
my car battery completely died after 5 months of storage last year. All i had to do was recharge it and set the time on the radio, what is this about it being locked and crap?

matts
02-02-2004, 11:55 PM
there's ways to unlock your radio without taking it to the dealer

Jagey
02-03-2004, 11:33 AM
but when the battery dies, the radio doesn't get locked. It's still perfectly fine in my experience. What's going on here?

matts
02-03-2004, 12:24 PM
depends on how dead it gets. dead enough to not start your car you'd probably be alright. but a battery can get low enough to trip the theftlock. and if you unplug your battery or gets way low and your theftlock doesn't come on my first guess is going to be you don't have it on.

98GrandAmSE
02-04-2004, 08:12 PM
I posted a how-to to remove the theftlock a while back if you dont have the code

Jagey
02-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by matts
depends on how dead it gets. dead enough to not start your car you'd probably be alright. but a battery can get low enough to trip the theftlock. and if you unplug your battery or gets way low and your theftlock doesn't come on my first guess is going to be you don't have it on.

mine was dead as hell. The viper alarm stopped working, even the tiny LED that signals the alarm is armed stopped working. The little flashy red LED on the radio to signal theftlock stopped working too.

matts
02-04-2004, 11:11 PM
the theft lock should have kicked in when you recharged the battery