Water Pump [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump

GCarr99GT
01-31-2004, 11:00 PM
This is probably a stupid question...but anyways....here goes. A few weeks ago I noticed my coolant was low and eversince then I have been seeing drops of coolant all over the passenger side of the engine compartment. I've noticed it getting worse and worse, and after reading the IMPORTANT message here I think that it's the water pump. The coolant seems to be only on the pulleys and belt, but of course it slings it places when the car is running. So I'm getting a replacement water pump core...I was wondering if anyone knows if either of these brands are better quality than the other or what?? The brands are Valucraft and ASC/GMB. What should I get?!?

GCarr99GT
01-31-2004, 11:05 PM
Lol I was looking on Autozone's website and it lists the brand mentioned above as ASC/GMB. But then Advanced Auto Parts lists an ASC Pump and a GMB pump as two different products. So confused...any help would be great. Not that it's a big deal, but I'm just curious about all this.

Black2K1GT
02-01-2004, 06:19 AM
Most rebuilt water pumps have larger bearings and will therefore last longer. I would not put a lot of concern into which one to pick as I am sure they will both last you quite a while.

01silverGT
02-01-2004, 02:59 PM
if i were you i wouldn't use anything besides AC Delco

GCarr99GT
02-01-2004, 07:46 PM
They don't have AC Delco water pumps at Advanced Auto or Auto Zone. Are our stock water pump cores even made by AC Delco??

GreatGraySkwid
02-02-2004, 09:42 AM
I got an AC Delco for Carla from O'Reilly's, you might try them (if they're in your area).

The hardest part of that job, BTW, was removing the remnants of the old gasket. You want to be sure to get all that crap off of there!

GCarr99GT
02-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Oh boy... I got my friend to put on my new water pump...lol I thought he was better at cars than this. Anyways, first he took and damn thing off and coolant spilled out like niagra falls, then when he glued the sucker he put WAYYYY too much on both sides of the gasket. The glue was like all over the friggin place and it mushed out the sides MAJORLY and got all over the screws when he put them back in. I was just wandrin if this could cause any harm??? Please let me know.

71Z28RS
02-03-2004, 09:35 AM
The excess silicone shouldn't cause any problems. The rule with that is usually better to have too much than too little. As long as you don't get alot inside the water pump housing. The important thing is to make sure that you replace the coolant that was lost in the waterfall draining.

GCarr99GT
02-03-2004, 11:44 AM
phew....*slight relief*