Prevent Gasket Leaks [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Prevent Gasket Leaks

GCarr99GT
02-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Everyone obviously knows how crappy the lower intake manifold gaskets are in our cars, so I was wondering if there are any ways to prevent them from leaking/going bad, or at least prolong the life of the gaskets. Has anyone on this board ever used oil additive products that condition gaskets or something... such as STP Stop Engine Leak (http://www.stp.com/oil_stop.html). According to STP heat can cause oil seals and gaskets to shrink, dry out and crack. Our gaskets must dry out and shrink extra quicklol. I doubt this product would actually do anything to prevent them from going... but I was just wonderin. Anyone else got some miracle product they think would work??

Blackrider
02-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by GCarr99GT
Everyone obviously knows how crappy the lower intake manifold gaskets are in our cars, so I was wondering if there are any ways to prevent them from leaking/going bad, or at least prolong the life of the gaskets. Has anyone on this board ever used oil additive products that condition gaskets or something... such as STP Stop Engine Leak (http://www.stp.com/oil_stop.html). According to STP heat can cause oil seals and gaskets to shrink, dry out and crack. Our gaskets must dry out and shrink extra quicklol. I doubt this product would actually do anything to prevent them from going... but I was just wonderin. Anyone else got some miracle product they think would work??

Thats not doing to do much, The gakset that goes is plastic. there is not really anything you can do.

Marksman
02-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Permatex the p*ss out of the gasket. Aviation grade. Aircraft engines don't fall apart...

Greed4Speed
02-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Run radiator stop leak.

bzhang777
02-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I hear Dexcool is the cause of the leaks... my started leaking at 2years 50k miles... Switch coolants... or catch it before your warranty expires

Greed4Speed
02-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Dexcool is NOT the cause. Look at all the other GM cars running Dexcool and they don't have the problem. Dexcool and The regular antifreeze are BOTH ethelyne glycol based. GM has redesigned the gaskets, do you think they would have done this if it was just the type of coolant?

2000GA
02-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Greed4Speed
Dexcool is NOT the cause. Look at all the other GM cars running Dexcool and they don't have the problem. Dexcool and The regular antifreeze are BOTH ethelyne glycol based. GM has redesigned the gaskets, do you think they would have done this if it was just the type of coolant?

I'm not completely sold on the dex cool thing but all of the gm cars in our household had a leaking coolant gasket. mine leaked and my moms 02 GPGT had the recall thing, my dads 99 silverado 5.7, brothers 98 ga 3.1 and my other brothers 95 sunfire 2.2 had a leaking head gasket 3 times now.

GCarr99GT
02-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Well one thing that you shouldn't try is putting stop leak solution in your coolant. Yeah it might stop a small leak in your cooling system, but it will also clog the system up with gunk and possibly cause you to run slighty hotter than normal.

01silverGT
02-04-2004, 09:56 AM
i would recommend changing the coolant to the green stuff but make sure that you get it all out of the engine block! i am changing mine over in the spring because thats what the techs at my shop said would be a good idea!

bzhang777
02-04-2004, 10:08 AM
My intake gasket has been leaking since its' 2nd year @ 45k
It now has 125k and has only recently Leaking really bad, I mean it doesnt go as far as 1/2 hour without losing all the coolant.

I do not believe it has leaked into the engine. But repair costs are none the less gonna be $$$, I am guessing $500-$600

Does that price sound right? does anyone know how to check if there is coolant or any other damage caused due to the leaky gaskets?

MaceDew
02-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Just took my GA to get the lower gaske replaced on Monday. Only cost $100, plus they gave me a rental all day for no cost, 2003 Envoy. Thank goodness for warrenty. I had to have the upper replaced on my '92 Lumina Z34 and it cost $600.

Greed4Speed
02-04-2004, 04:53 PM
If the Dexcool was the cause of the problem, I'm sure I'd hear all about it on the F-body forums too. IIRC, a 95 GM car wouldn't have Dexcool. I don't think they started that until 98 This also goes toward Dexcool not being the culprit. Its crappy GM gaskets, but believe what you want.

My 01 GAGT didn't develop this leak until over 100k. It was just seeping to the outside. I ran the stop leak and it stopped leaking and doesn't run any hotter than it did before. Yes, that was in the summer with triple digit temps.

2000GA
02-04-2004, 08:15 PM
95 does not have dex cool, but i think gm just has coolant leaking problems in general. definately not dex cools fault

PontiacGT
02-04-2004, 09:24 PM
ok can someone maybe draw a picture for me in paint or something showing me how the upper and lower intake manifolds connect to the block ? also, if you ordered the gasket, it couldnt be that hard to change yourself could it?

Vince
02-04-2004, 09:50 PM
I don't really believe it's the dexcool or the gaskets. It's the construction itself of the motor. I just took mine apart, and the four side bolts were barely tight. Not even a quarter of a turn, or even pressure, and I was able to take them off with my hand. The gaskets were completely intact, but with those loose bolts, I wasn't surprised it leaked once I took them off, BAD CONSTRUCTION. The bolt area had most of the liquid. At least that was my case.

bzhang777
02-04-2004, 10:49 PM
I've heard that once GM started to use Dex-Cool,
GM did not redesign their gaskets to compensate for the chemical change, and that lead to the early deform of the gaskets.

I believe there are some class-action law suits that were attempted against GM for this, but I guess somehow they managed to find a loop-hole out of it.

zeddsdead
03-04-2004, 05:28 PM
so this new gasket change was implemented on 2001 ga's and up right? are those guys seeing gasket leaks also? is the new gasket any better than the older one?

Blackrider
03-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by zeddsdead
so this new gasket change was implemented on 2001 ga's and up right? are those guys seeing gasket leaks also? is the new gasket any better than the older one?

2002 or 2003 If i remember correctly. And yes the new gasket is alot better.