Where are the hoist points? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Where are the hoist points?

2002AmSE
02-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Sorry that this is a really stupid question, but I am trying to figure out where I am supposed to put the jack points to hoist my 02' SE. The owners manuel said check the "spare tire instructions", but those dont help when I am using a hoist. Is it me or am I supposed to have the hoist points directly on plastic?? I feel like I am going to tear plastic chunks off my car...

The hoist is a 4-point hoist that lifts the car above the head, the hoist feet are about 4 inches by 6 inches. I searched the forum but only found jack points for just the front or back

I need to know really soon because I need to lift it tomorrow with a hoist.

95-GT
02-04-2004, 12:13 AM
The jack points are usually where you can lift it from also. For the fronts, you can also use the engine subframe where the control arm bolts into.

71Z28RS
02-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Definitely do not use plastic. 95-GT is right that you can use the jack points or the sub-frame rails. Just make sure you aren't using the oil pan....

95-GT
02-04-2004, 09:54 AM
or the transpan. Usually on hoists, the "feet" will slid up to raise some so it doesnt hit the plastic.

iceman
02-04-2004, 09:58 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11054&highlight=jack+point%2A is where i use

2003GAGT
02-04-2004, 10:47 AM
For the front contact points, keep the pads flat and position them under the subframe.

For the rear, lay the pads flat again and put on the block extensions with the rubber pad and position them underneath the rail that you would normally position the scissors jack.

If you don't use the extension blocks with the rubber pads the car will not be lifting evenly...the car will lean back on the lift.

2002AmSE
02-05-2004, 06:40 AM
The link that iceman gave me wont work, it needs to be with the sides of the car, I am going to find the scissor points and, i guess i am supposed to tilt the feet so the surface area is less, so I'll do that. I didnt exactly see the scissor jack points last time i looked, but I'll see, it seriously seems like it should be more obvious... ...Arrgh at unibody

71Z28RS
02-05-2004, 06:49 AM
There is a strip of metal under the door (behind the plastic running board) that runs from the just behind the front tire to just in front of the rear tire. It's the seam where the body meets the floorpan. It's about an inch tall and a quarter inch thick. There are a couple of places where the seam is notched out for about 5 or 6 inches so that it's like 3 quarters of an inch tall in that section. Those are your jack points. One should be right under the door hinge location (behind the plastic running board), and the other one is right under the door seam in front of the back tire (benind the plastic running board). This is for a 2 door. A 4 door should be similar, maybe just a little further out. They aren't really obvious if you don't know what to look for. There aren't any "jack pads" or anything like that. Just a couple of notch outs in the body seam. Hope that helps.

2002AmSE
02-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Hey, 71Z28RS, that helped me a ton, I got the car up and everything went perfect. I'm not sure what your talking about with rubber pad because I didn't see any around and it didnt look like I needed them, I didnt think it would matter if one side was slightly higher or lower than the other side, it seemed level...

Well, about 5 mins later someone who took his 99 grand am and parked it next to me and had the feet on the seam and not where the reinforced part of the seam where the jack goes, and his seam cracked and is now slightly folded over, so I am glad I asked here before I did that

71Z28RS
02-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Hey, glad I was able to help.