Oil On My Plugs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil On My Plugs

Phoenix2003
02-04-2004, 11:28 AM
I think I need to change out my O-rings? I had a miss fire on cylinder 3 so I changed out my spark plugs and found oil all over my plug! I'm pretty sure Its just the O-ring, but I not 100% sure. Any one have any ideas? and how much a mechanic will charge for that?

steve

gorillapimp
02-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Dude

GO get that checked that means your heads are leaking. That same kind of thing happened to me!!!!

Dr_Kyle
02-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Do you have the 2.4 or the 3.4?

Phoenix2003
02-04-2004, 12:02 PM

Blackrider
02-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix2003

No O rings, Oil in the combustion chamber, Bad. Get it checked.

Phoenix2003
02-04-2004, 12:06 PM
so what would need to be done?

02PONtiac!
02-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Usually when that happens the valves aren't seating properly. You'll probably need to get the seats replaced.

Blackrider
02-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 02PONtiac!
Usually when that happens the valves aren't seating properly. You'll probably need to get the seats replaced.

Agreed mosty likly problem

Phoenix2003
02-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Geez, just great! So any idea on the cost or can I do this my selfe?

steve

Phoenix2003
02-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Is that the valve keeper?

Blackrider
02-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Well depending on your Mechanical skills. but its not and easy job

Phoenix2003
02-04-2004, 06:20 PM
ok i guess i have to take it to the shop

matts
02-04-2004, 08:57 PM
i think it's your piston rings. i've a problem like that before. one of them gets kind of wore out and it has blow by at higher rpm's. do you drive your car hard very often? it could be what the other people say it is also. but from my experience it's piston rings. not a cheap job. gotta take the engine out (well you don't HAVE to, but i don't know of a mechanic that would try to do it with the engine in).........basically you gotta rebuild it. there's too many steps to list lol

71Z28RS
02-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by 02PONtiac!

I don't agree. When the valves aren't seating properly there is usually a mis-fire due to compression loss, not due to oil seepage. The valve seats seal the valve angle to the head, so if the valve isn't seating properly it allows some of the air-fuel mixture to either seep into the intake or out the exhaust (depending on the valve) during compression. The valve seat has nothing to do with oil retaining. That is what the valve stem o-rings are for. If there is oil on the spark plugs, it's either due to a bad valve o-ring (the exhaust would puff smoke when started but would not smoke afterwards), the oil ring on the piston (exhaust would smoke all the time), or the head gasket (there would be a loss of compression during a compression test and the exhaust would smoke all the time). Of course, it could also be a cracked head if it fails the compression test, but that's much less likely.
Does the car smoke all the time or just a short puff when you first start it?

02PONtiac!
02-05-2004, 08:47 AM
71Z28RS makes it clear. You might want to look into some aftermarket heads for the 3.4. You could get some after market heads probably for the same price as stocks that the dealer would charge. If you wanted you could also get a 3 angle valvel job refurbish on your old heads which may save you some money but not that much. The labor is what is going to be a killer.

Phoenix2003
02-05-2004, 05:45 PM
well, while it idoles its has light smoke, and i am miss fireing

71Z28RS
02-06-2004, 05:58 AM
That doesn't sound good. You're sure it's smoke and not exhaust steam, right?

If it's constant smoke, you're talking about alot of work to fix.

You already changed out the plugs, and it's still misfiring? That sounds like a more serious of an issue than a bad piston oil ring, but who knows. I'd do a compression test on all of your cylinders. Something may be cracked. Or, it might be a bad head gasket. You aren't going to know until you get into it a bit. I'd definitely start with the compression test and take it from there based on those results.

Phoenix2003
02-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Well i dont really get any smoke. its not exhaust steem. just every now and then i get a light smoke while idileing. I think the valves might besticking or the o ring is out. Im taking it in this week. I called a shop friday and they said because there oil on the plug it would need an overhaul wich putting a new engine in would be cheaper. I think hes full of crap so an ways Ill let you knowwhat happens

matts
02-09-2004, 08:31 PM
well by the time you pay for labor and everything a new engine isn't going to be too far out of reach. i know for the engine in my truck it's only a couple hundred dollar difference between a brand new engine and rebuilding the one i've got right now. if you need a new engine look into getting one from a salvage yard. you can get one out of a wreck for pretty cheap usually

71Z28RS
02-10-2004, 06:00 AM
I agree with the junkyard idea. I've bought salvage engines a couple times and it's always been a huge saver. But, if you don't have the money or you don't want to spend the time, if it just means changing plugs every 6 months instead of every 2 years you can just leave it. If it runs ok with new plugs in it......

Phoenix2003
02-13-2004, 09:02 PM
as soon as i change the plugs cylder 3 goes out. thats ok ill figure it out here, tuesday im going in the shop to see on some prices... like maybe getting a 3.8 liter and modifieing the engine mounts?? MAYBE......