Gasket qustion of a different kind. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gasket qustion of a different kind.

Apollyon9515
02-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Ok my intake gasket is going or gone out, suprize suprize :). But the problem is im at college now 200 miles from home. Back home i can get it changed for around 3-350, up here the dealer wants around 550. My question is how can i tell if it will make the drive home. The oil is fine, but i have a little bit of smoke coming out the exhaust, the coolant tank has a little nastyness in it but that was from the stop leak I tryed(the man who was gonna fix it said to try it). I know i should jsut do it at college, but i would like to save the 200 dollars.

Thanks for all the help in advance, I know i shoulda dont had it fixed but i didnt think it was this bad.

Vince
02-04-2004, 02:56 PM
I think it will be ok for the ride. I went a couple of hundred miles on mine bfore I realized what it was. I had coolant under the throttle body area, but I found no coolant in the oil. So that was a good thing. Just keep an eye on the oil. I currently have it all in pieces right now, and found no traces of coolant in the oil area, so it was only the coolant leaking out for me. But If I had left it longer, it would've gotten into the oil, as many people here have experienced.

Apollyon9515
02-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Ok I just went outside and started it and no smoke musta been the cold air. What can i do to make the drive safer add a mixture of less dex than water, or less water than dex etc, Should i add more oil or nething just wanting to make it safer if its possible.

Vince
02-04-2004, 09:41 PM
I really don't think there's anything you could do, if there was, everyone here would've been doing it. It's really up to you, but to save a couple of hundred bucks, I'd drive the 200 miles. Good luck.

Ludacrisvp
02-04-2004, 10:04 PM
well once the dexcool got into the oil the whole engine was shot so had to get a used engine only good thing about the used one is it has 20,000 less miles on it.

zeddsdead
02-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Ludacrisvp
well once the dexcool got into the oil the whole engine was shot so had to get a used engine only good thing about the used one is it has 20,000 less miles on it.

where and for how much did u get it?

cost to install?

Apollyon9515
02-06-2004, 03:03 PM
I got quoted 3-350 from a small time guy. One dealership said 5-600, and another said 5-550.

Ludacrisvp
02-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by zeddsdead
where and for how much did u get it?

cost to install?

I got lucky and my mom can complain to GM really well and she got them to replace the engine for free.
here is what happened
Bought car from Thomas Auto Mall (authorized GM dealer) 3/1/03
noticed engine problems 3/4/03
went back and complained to thomas after negotiating we spent $300 on an extended warrenty that would allow us to get the problem fixed for free.
told GM about the problems and that we had that warranty that would cover this problem but GM said no we will not do it because it was a pre-existing condidtion and they were not going to cover it and then they found out that Thomas tried to hide and disguse the problem... etc etc
eventually got GM to tell thomas to replace the engine for free but GM would not reimburse Thomas for somthing that they should have fixed when they accepted the car in on trade.
We basically got lucky and found a loophole. saved us prolly $1000+
we got an engine with 65000 miles on it... almost 12,000 miles later and no problems except alternator issues but thats kinda unrelated

Gimli
02-10-2004, 06:10 AM
Is the 200$ difference worth taking the risk of blowing up your engine? Only you can answer that...