Pad underneath the hood [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Pad underneath the hood

AznGA
02-04-2004, 10:34 PM
I dunno what to call this, but what does this do other than obsorb the heat?

matts
02-04-2004, 10:36 PM
deaden sound

SikMindz
02-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Collect dirt and look ugly.

Dr_Kyle
02-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by SikMindz
Collect dirt and look ugly.

Werd. I took mine off a few months ago.

AznGA
02-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Kyle
Werd. I took mine off a few months ago.
Wouldn't it be bad for the hood if it gets hot? Do you have any problems?

snwman
02-04-2004, 11:47 PM
mine has been off for over 1 yr now no problems to the hood and sik your 100% right collect dirt and look ugly.

AznGA
02-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Well if it's ok, then hell ya I am taking it off.
The louder = The better.
:)

preed4962
02-05-2004, 04:50 PM
I have the SCT hood from the factory, and there is no hood pad on my car, not even really any place to mount it even. I thought that was strange, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that the hood is fiberglass... It seems to sound normal..

matts
02-05-2004, 10:27 PM
i didn't put it back on my cowl hood on my truck and it worked out just fine, but my hood was also functional and was painted underneath. i didn't want it covered back up

Rba007
02-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Ive heard it is actually designed to melt and fall on the engine if a fire were to occurr. Dunno though.

GreatGraySkwid
02-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by preed4962
I have the SCT hood from the factory, and there is no hood pad on my car, not even really any place to mount it even. I thought that was strange, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that the hood is fiberglass... It seems to sound normal..
Just a minor note, but the GA WS-6 hood is (much like the WS-6 hood for it's big brother) made of urethane, not fiberglass.

The SD hoods are fiberglass, though, which may have caused some confusion.

preed4962
02-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by GreatGraySkwid
Just a minor note, but the GA WS-6 hood is (much like the WS-6 hood for it's big brother) made of urethane, not fiberglass.

Whatever, either way it doesn't have a hood pad, thats the point I was trying to make.

Filter
02-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Mine ripped cause it got covered in some chemical so I took it off. There's no paint under it. WTF I say. Just primered and overspray and yes it's the factory paint 100% sure.

MikeSilverGT
02-07-2004, 12:59 AM
yeah, I got the sc/t hood and didn't bother to take it off and put the pad on the new hood... They ship them to the dealer without a pad too so I don't think it's that important. Besides I doubt it really helps put out an engine bay fire that much anyhow.

95-GT
02-07-2004, 03:27 AM
If your motor is on fire...I say let the bitch burn and get some insurance money

Ryan
02-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by GreatGraySkwid

*offtopic*

The SC/T hoods are made out of SMC.

I added the SC/T hood to my 2002. No hood liner. Although the underside of my hood gets dirty it's easier to clean than a fabric hood liner.

Turbodreams-se
02-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by preed4962

wait a minute.... the factory sc/t hood is fiberglass? I just talked to a dealer and they said it was the same material as the stock hood (a.k.a. LEAD) so is this true? fiberglass... wtf if so then the dealer I went to is full of ****

EDIT: sorry I didn't see the next post... that's what I thought it was.

AznGA
02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
I took mine off today. I dunno what it's made out of, but I was able to rip it easily.

Ludacrisvp
02-09-2004, 11:41 PM
is there really a noticeable difference sound wise?

AznGA
02-09-2004, 11:46 PM
I don't think so. But then again, I have SLP exhaust, so I can't really hear the engine. But I am sure it will help when you have WAI set up.

SilverStreak
02-10-2004, 07:00 PM
No difference in sound yet. I just took mine off saturday. It might be a little bit louder after I get my CAI on in the next couple of days.

Ludacrisvp
02-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Turbodreams-se
wait a minute.... the factory sc/t hood is fiberglass? I just talked to a dealer and they said it was the same material as the stock hood (a.k.a. LEAD)
well if it was lead it would be really heavy and bend real fast.
it is steel...
so the only things that it does for you is make it a little quieter, and possibly insulate a little?

EBlend
02-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Ludacrisvp
it is steel...
so the only things that it does for you is make it a little quieter, and possibly insulate a little?

i think he was joking about lead hahaha, i think he was just trying to say its heavy :)

Turbodreams-se
02-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by EBlend
i think he was joking about lead hahaha, i think he was just trying to say its heavy :)

exactly... at least someone got it.... hehehe I need fiberglass or cf... but first i gotta fix my engine... damn valve tapping!!!! :mad: :rage: :banghead

ArcticGT
02-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Rba007
Ive heard it is actually designed to melt and fall on the engine if a fire were to occurr.

The plastic fasteners used to hold the fire pad melt. But yeah dave, your right. Its actually a good safety precaution if your trapped in the car, if you noticed the same material is used for the firewall along the backside of the engine bay.

GreatGraySkwid
02-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Ludacrisvp
it is steel...
The base hood is steel. The GM Ram Air hood is not (although I believe its frame and support crossbar are?).

GTmonyPit
06-06-2004, 05:57 PM
I took mine off cuz it was dirty and am worried that the heat might make the paint bubble on top of the hood

does anyone know if this could happen

Craig99SE2
06-06-2004, 06:54 PM
The padding is there to deaden the sound. Both underhood and against the firewall. They are not fire "extinguishers" by any strectch of the word. And they do nothing for heat either. If it were heat-related, it would be a padded reflective surface, not a black, porous heat-absorbant one.

To bubble the heat on the hood, you'd need nothing short of an open flame under the hood for about 1 minute ... no worries there! :cool:

GTmonyPit
06-06-2004, 07:56 PM
thanks craig.I guess I have nothing to worry about