Loud Engine Ticking in 3rd Gear [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loud Engine Ticking in 3rd Gear

RedGrandTour
02-05-2004, 11:44 AM
I noticed the other day that my engine ticks none stop in third gear. Only at highway speeds though. It doesn't do that on the street. Anyone know what this means? I have my 100K warranty so I need to get it checked out quickly.

atc3434
02-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Only ticks in third gear, so its fine going through first and second, then it ticks in third, then its fine when it gets into overdrive? Its not your engine then, its gotta be in the transmission. What exactly does this tick sound like, and at what rpm does it occur?

RedGrandTour
02-06-2004, 07:00 AM
I didn't pay attention to the rpm's. I was on the highway one day and left it in 3rd gear. By the time I got to around 75mph and higher the ticking started. I put it in drive and she was fine. The tick sounded like that same tick when the car is cold.

71Z28RS
02-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Sounds like high rpm valvetrain noise to me. If it only did it that one time when you left it in third gear, I wouldn't worry about it.

atc3434
02-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Yea, if it was a one time thing, I wouldn't get too ruffled over it. If it is consistently doing that, try and get a fix on what rpm it starts at, and if it gets worse as the rpms increase. If you've got something loose in the motor, you'll want to get it fixed before you've gotta pay for it all.

RedGrandTour
03-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Well, the ticking just took over the engine even at idle. Even worse like an old fart can going down the street. :( The tech at the dealer said from what he's hearing I'll need a new engine. They have to get the ok from my warranty for the engine tear down first.

I really think the damage was caused by the leaky gaskets twice. The first time the coolant got into the engine. The second time the coolant sprayed all over the engine bay and ended up on the ground. Also, my engine temp has been going a few ticks over the half way mark for a while now. 93,000miles and it gave up :(

Blackrider
03-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Yeah Bearings really dont like Coolant but, i wouldent jump the gun, Could be a noisy lifter/Valvetrain. but i honestly couldent tell you fore sure without looking at it.

RedGrandTour
03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Blackrider
Yeah Bearings really dont like Coolant but, i wouldent jump the gun, Could be a noisy lifter/Valvetrain. but i honestly couldent tell you fore sure without looking at it.

The car was still performing great. She was kicking ass this past week infact. :D I've been as good as a person can be to a car.

Blackrider
03-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by RedGrandTour
The car was still performing great. She was kicking ass this past week infact. :D I've been as good as a person can be to a car.

Is it at the dealer right now?

RedGrandTour
03-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah it's at the dealer now. The warranty people is sending someone over to make sure its something I didn't do.