Bent rim [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bent rim

Hexx
02-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey all,
When I bought my car I got it and the rim had a bend in it. It was not a big deal for the tire (the bead sealed properly) but it looks like butt. I have a 2000 GAGT with the chrome rims and was wondering if there are any type of shops that could fix this and if so, about what would the cost be?

http://reno.sytes.net:8080/~hexx/images/gallery/vehicles/grandamgt/DSC02099.jpg

You can see it in that pic....just look on the outter part of the rim pointed towards the front of the car.

acdc1a
02-05-2004, 12:16 PM
go to your local tire store. I went to goodyear when I had a bent rim on another one of my cars and they were able to pound it out. Couldn't tell there was ever a problem when they were finished. They only charged me to take the tire off...$40 if I recall. Good luck

MaceDew
02-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Had the same thing happen to mine. Bent rim. Called around and seeing as that the bead is aluminum, you really cannot bend it back, and if done, the metal will be weaker. Had to buy new rim. $418 from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM shipping included. I have the chrome five spokes. Just got it yesterday.

Hexx
02-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by MaceDew
Had the same thing happen to mine. Bent rim. Called around and seeing as that the bead is aluminum, you really cannot bend it back, and if done, the metal will be weaker. Had to buy new rim. $418 from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM shipping included. I have the chrome five spokes. Just got it yesterday.

Yeah see...no way in hell would I ever buy an OEM rim for that much money. I would just spend a bit more and get all 4 rims (17x7) that look nicer IMO. That's crazy. I mean, they are really nice looking rims and all...but I wouldn't pay that much...that's just me though.

Anyways...thanx for the info guys...I had the feeling there was no hope in the situation...guess I'm stuck with this for sometime now until my rally car is done and I have extra cash for rims ;)

acdc1a
02-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Suppose Chrome rim would be a bit of an issue. I'd still take it to a tire place and get an opinion

AndyVTek
02-05-2004, 01:01 PM
*iagree*

scorpiosxa
02-05-2004, 01:23 PM
I had a small crack in one and a small bend on the inside of the other...got both fixed for $250.00 at a tire collision center. If the bend is on the inside of the rim it is much cheaper than if it is on the outside cause of the chrome.

matts
02-05-2004, 10:34 PM
yeah, i'd see if i could get if fixed. if not i'd call a salvage yard and see how much they want for one. if those 2 didn't go my way i'd save for some new ones. whoever said that the metal would be weaker is right also, but it depends on the severity of the bend as to how much weaker it will be

you might be able to buy those 17X7s for not much more, but are you going to drive around on the rim??? :p you still gotta buy some tires to cushion the ride a little

although i must agree that i don't buy anything from the dealer when i can find one somewhere else for A LOT less. salvage yards are usually are pretty safe bet. they inspect all of their stuff before they sell it. you probably could have bought that rim for $75 or $100

LukeD
02-06-2004, 03:12 AM
I'll trade you my perfect condition alloy rims for your chrome ones (bent) :thumbs:

Hexx
02-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by LukeD
I'll trade you my perfect condition alloy rims for your chrome ones (bent) :thumbs:

Haha.....no. I love the stock chrome ones. This summer if I decide to get new ones, I'll prob trade with ya (or sell 'em...not sure yet).

I'll keep ya in mind ;)

Greed4Speed
02-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I had some BBS rims off a BMW straightened. Ran about $100 each. I found the place in the yellow pages under wheels IIRC. The area where your rims are bent is not chrome, so unless they have to heat it up you should be fine. If they have to heat it up, the chrome area of the stock wheels won't take it. Look at them closely. Its just a chrome covering over painted aluminum wheels.

You could also watch e-bay and local junk yards for a used wheel to pop up.