High Pass Crossover? (Stock Monsoon) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : High Pass Crossover? (Stock Monsoon)

FireBird
10-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Does anybody know if the stock Monsoon system has a high pass crossover set on the front 4x6's?? I just installed some 6.5's in the doors and they don't seem to be hitting like i think they should (may just be lack of power). The rear stock 6x9's hit great.. I know they are DVC's.

Thanks..

quinton
10-13-2002, 10:50 AM
well if you are talking about hitting as in bass.. you are talking abut a low pass filter.. and that i do not know if the monsoon has or not.. and the rear 6x9s thump because of the amp back there.. the stock monsoon isnt probably sending enough power to your fronts to make them thump anyways..

grass
10-13-2002, 08:08 PM
i think he is asking if there is a HP filter on them, to cut the bass out (because he thinks its lacking bass in the front stage)

i dont believe it does but it may, you dont want your fronts playing bass anyways, if you want a little more bass get a sub and an amp, it'll make a BIG difference and sound awesome.

FireBird
10-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Ya.. I know a sub and an amp would help. Just not willing to dump any real money into a system right now (not really sure how long I'm going to keep the GAGT). The 6.5's sound much better than the factory 4x6's.. so I'm happy. So.. the little factory 25x2 channel amp only powers the woofer voice coil on the rear 6x9's??? And the headunit powers the front door speakers.. and the rear tweet?

Thanks!

grass
10-13-2002, 09:27 PM
it may be lack of power then, i just read that you installed new 6.5's, what kind?

buy a inexpensive amp and hook it up, it'll sound better then what it does ;)

FireBird
10-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Infinity Kappa 62.5i

Pic

http://members.cox.net/zkoenig1/DCP_0009.JPG

Highs and midrange are much better with these...

And yeah I thought about buying a small 75x2 amp to power them... would help with bass and overall volume. But.. if I do that.. next comes a new Head Unit.. then subs..

grass
10-13-2002, 09:34 PM
same speakers i got, i love em, sounds great with mid's/high's

i have subs but if i turn em off i do notice that the stock ones did "hit" better, i'll hook up my amp to my fronts someday this week and get back to you on if they sound good, i'll put it on 80hz and higher to em

FireBird
10-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Thanks Grass!

What are the specs of your system???

grass
10-13-2002, 09:41 PM
i got the infitiys up front,

a kenwood kpc-829 H/U

2 Kicker solo barics in a ported box

and 2 - 200 watt amps hooked up to the subs

i have no rear 6x9's b/c the pressure from my subs over exerts the cone on the 6x9s and keeps seperating the cone from the coil

about $1400 after wires and stuff, but its all worth it when i shake coffee cups off of my counter inside my house :)

FireBird
10-13-2002, 09:48 PM
Ya those Solobarics are some nice subs.. I used to have an 8" in a truck. My last "real" system was 2 12 inch JL Audio W6's powered by an ole school Fosgate amp.. loved those subs.

I'm trying to stay away from the money trap of car audio...

grass
10-13-2002, 10:00 PM
it is a money trap, but the way i look at it, if my car was modded to go faster, i'd use the speed more and get more tickets. this way i can cruise slow, get the attention of the hotties and still have stock speed (which is good enuf for me) to race any hondas in my town ;)

them old school RF's are some awesome amps, i got one on my solobarics.