Honest opinion's needed please... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinion's needed please...

rizer
02-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Honest opinion's needed please...
Ok, i know its a GAGT forum, so its gonna be natural to get one certain answer(GAGT), but thats why im asking for honest opinion.

Im lookin at getting a new car in the next month and probally selling my 1990 GT. Cars im lookin at are
A- Dodge Avenger ES
B- 97-on Grand AM GT
C- 95-on Ford Probe GT (5 spd)
D-97-on Grand Prix GT
E- 96-on Chevy Monte Carlo Z34

I pretty much want a 2 door "sporty" and with my 4k budgey, looks like its gonna end up being round 80k-100k miles when i buy it. (autotrader.com ownz)

I like all 5 of those but want a car i can rely on (engine wise).
I really like the 2nd gen Probes but everytime ive had my probe worked on, they complain whole time about the Mazda engine and how there a pain to work on/there junk engines and when i get a new car, dont get another probe.
Then theres the avenger with the mitsu engine, i dont know how reliable those are, but im fond of the body style.
not to sure how realiable the grand am gt's are, need to study them up some more.

Would just like some feedback on opinions on these cars if possible and red lights or anything. Like i said, main concern is engine and it running/lasting without having to service all the time (I travel alot). I am studying this all out, but would like real people opinions.

Thanks alot!

AznGA
02-06-2004, 09:03 PM
97 - on Grand Prix GT gets my vote. It has one of the best engines.

kubiache
02-06-2004, 10:56 PM
^Not a 97 or 98 GP, though. They (particularly the 97s) were notorious for engine problems.

My vote would be a GP also, but with a $4k budget...? I'm not sure without looking what autotrader has to offer, but you may be able to get a '99 GA or GP with outrageous miles for that much.

I've heard the same thing about probes from many former probe owners, so if I was to recommend against anything, it would be that.

tonmarchelli
02-06-2004, 11:25 PM
I would go with the avenger, nice looks, strong engine. its a great car

jake3217
02-07-2004, 02:40 AM
I've heard that the Mitsu engine is a complete piece of crap in terms of reliability though...but that's just coming from lil old me

mr_eh
02-07-2004, 02:57 AM
eh, i'd say go with the probe, a v6 6spd you can find for less then 4k if you shop around, but 4k aint gonna get you much

http://probetalk.com

PontiacGTboy
02-07-2004, 09:34 AM
probe is a 5 speed,,, but,,, if speed is anything to you, off the showroom floor the GAGT (99+) should be faster than any of these. My vote goes to either the GA or the GP. I was gonna say the probe cause those are pretty nice looking cars and pretty damn fast! the 5 speed would be fun, but i didnt realize they were alot of trouble. I am now done dispensing my "Honest Opinion".

Hexx
02-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Dodge Avenger ES
97-on Grand AM GT

These would get my vote. I would go with the avenger first most likely (even though I have a 2k GT). They last for sometime (mitsu engine) and are dead sexy (my friend had a 97 red 5sp...nice car).

I would go with the avenger if you are looking for something cheaper. You could probably find one with high mileage (100K ish) and rebuild if needed.

Blackrider
02-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by kubiache
^Not a 97 or 98 GP, though. They (particularly the 97s) were notorious for engine problems.

My vote would be a GP also, but with a $4k budget...? I'm not sure without looking what autotrader has to offer, but you may be able to get a '99 GA or GP with outrageous miles for that much.

I've heard the same thing about probes from many former probe owners, so if I was to recommend against anything, it would be that.

Its the same engine

Black2K1GT
02-07-2004, 10:44 AM
99+ GA
98+ GP

AznGA
02-07-2004, 01:19 PM
If $4k is your budget...I would say 97+ GA GT.
If you wanna get a manual try to find one with a 5-speed.

kubiache
02-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Its the same engine

Yes, but ask any of the GP guys, it's best to avoid those first two years. Lots of typical problems that occur with a new bodystyle.

MikeSilverGT
02-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Avengers have some sh!t reliability... Thats half the reason the model was killed so quick, Dodge couldn't repair the car's image..

Hexx
02-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by MikeSilverGT
Avengers have some sh!t reliability... Thats half the reason the model was killed so quick, Dodge couldn't repair the car's image..

Depends on who you talk to I guess. I do hear mixed things about the car...but I love them. Not as much as my GT though (hehe). Im sure you could swap a totally differ engine in there too...if you wanted to.

Umm...Look what I can do :boogie:

UNCTYPE-S
02-07-2004, 08:33 PM
its a dodge, who would spend money on that? bad brakes, is a starter for those after like 7k miles.

Turbodreams-se
02-08-2004, 11:08 PM
well the avenger's body is approved for use in nascar or some **** like that... but instead of a probe, try the same year mx-6's I think they look better but i am biased cuz it was my first car. but 175'000 miles and no major problems, so hey that's gotta be saying something. and the engine is actually easier to work on than the 3.4 gagt engines... if you have the 5 spd that is. more roomy in there...and a much lighter car too.

tonmarchelli
02-09-2004, 12:23 AM
i agree with turbodreamsse, the Mx6 is a very good car.
and highly moddable.

Turbodreams-se
02-09-2004, 12:45 AM
i would still have the mx6 but some hobag in a honda crv was talking on her cell phone and creamed the rear end of it... so it was totalled... grrrr....

71Z28RS
02-09-2004, 08:52 AM
I'd go with the GA or GP. You'd get more GA for the money though (less mileage, more options). The only major notorious problem being the lower intake manifold gasket would probably have been fixed by the time you got the car.

Hexx
02-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 71Z28RS
I'd go with the GA or GP. You'd get more GA for the money though (less mileage, more options). The only major notorious problem being the lower intake manifold gasket would probably have been fixed by the time you got the car.

Or get the car as ur avatar =D

Germ
02-09-2004, 12:47 PM
DONT get the 96-97 monte z34, there are no mods available for that engine, 3.4 DOHC, and very expensive to repair. the 98+ montes are nice, 3800 S2.

71Z28RS
02-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Hexx
Or get the car as ur avatar =D

There's a bit more work involved that way, though. :slayer