OEM and Aftermarket Headlights - Difference? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : OEM and Aftermarket Headlights - Difference?

SilverEcstasy
02-07-2004, 11:12 PM
The only reason I post a thread like this is i'm starting to wonder something. My stock GM/OEM headlights look slightly dark. I saw another GA drivin around today in Brighton and the glass had shattered from an accident and the inside was SO chromey and shiney bright, and eye catching too, you could totally tell a difference as opposed to with the glass in place. I've seen aftermarket GM pontiac headlights that don't look like the glass is tinted or treated at all, as a close friend had a set and I kept commenting how they looked so much nicer and brighter.

Is there a possibility that our stock OEM headlights are tinted, and aftermarket headlights are not? Just a curious question, don't hate on the complexity of my sentence structure.

UNCTYPE-S
02-07-2004, 11:33 PM
i went to the pontiac dealership last weekend and looked at the 04's and searched around to see any difference between the years and i didnt notice a difference between my 2000 and the 2004 headlights. i could be wrong though.

SilverEcstasy
02-07-2004, 11:35 PM
I'm not saying there is a difference between the 99-04's.

I'm thinking that there is a difference in the tinting/treatment of the glass in OEM headlight lens' as opposed to aftermarket.
IE, your taillights or headlights look alot brighter without the lens. Where as, i've seen aftermarket replacement headlights that look brighter and clearer right off the bat, which leads me to assume that theres hardly any tint or treatment done to them, which causes them to be less expensive and better looking hehe.

iceman
02-08-2004, 02:30 AM
What you are seeing is called dirt. Last time I checked, soap and water does wonders for it.

tenspeed
02-08-2004, 09:37 AM
I read somewhere in another thread that the stock headlamps had some kind of coating to harden the "plastic". A person was trying to sand pits out of the surface which resulted in a opaque finish like a bathroom window or shower door.

peeps
02-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by tenspeed
I read somewhere in another thread that the stock headlamps had some kind of coating to harden the "plastic". A person was trying to sand pits out of the surface which resulted in a opaque finish like a bathroom window or shower door. coating or not, sanding translucent plastic will effect its translucense....

SilverEcstasy
02-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by iceman
What you are seeing is called dirt. Last time I checked, soap and water does wonders for it.

Oh no way! THATS what it is. I seriously couldn't tell, cause i've never washed or waxed my car before, so I guess that would make a big difference then huh! Thanks iceman, you're my hero :D

Frankly, i'm thinking about getting a set just to compare cause they look alot nicer without the darker essence to them.

iceman
02-08-2004, 11:06 PM
It's either dirt or the angle you are looking at it. The lens starts out clear, the inside is just as shiny as another. It'll diminish with time if you don't keep up with protecting the lens itself from dirt. Every apply anything to your head light lenses to keep them lookin good???

like this guy here.. nice and shiny inside, dirty lens makes it not so shiny.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=345762

SilverEcstasy
02-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Actually, I never have applied anything. I've had suggestions of claybarring the headlights and exterior glass (ie windshield, windows) before to clean them up, but i've never tried anything else.

The reason I say what i've said is because ViperGTSR_500hp over last spring got new headlights due to his accident and I kept commenting on how they looked so nice and clear, as opposed to mine (at the time, my car only had like 3000 miles on it, still rather brand new). Just got me wondering if maybe the headlights were tinted, sorta like the taillights? Cause if you take off the lens of the taillights, the insides prove to be very bright and chrome-like.

On the clean factor, I definately think mine have seen better days. Any suggestions?

iceman
02-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Just because the car was new, doesn't mean the headlights were :) It still doesnt take much to get them dirty. White reflecting on the housings would appear to be brighter than silver too, imo.

How are the tail lights tinted?? You're starting to confuse me w/ the tint thing. The tails (minus the red stuff) and headlight outer plastic is clear. What exactly ARE you talking about ?

3M Hand glaze works good on that stuff I hear.

EBlend
02-08-2004, 11:25 PM
the tail lens is tinted a little, if u clear the tails its obvious that its a little tinted, but headlight? mine are clear as day and they are factory, no way are they coated in anything at all

iceman
02-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by EBlend
the tail lens is tinted a little, if u clear the tails its obvious that its a little tinted, but headlight? mine are clear as day and they are factory, no way are they coated in anything at all

hmph, they look clear to me, ah well I'll take your word for it, you are the tail clearing masta :thumbs:

SilverEcstasy
02-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by iceman
hmph, they look clear to me, ah well I'll take your word for it, you are the tail clearing masta :thumbs:

They're clear, but have a darker tint to plastic lens. When Hurley had a set he cracked while clearing, I investigated a little. The inside has chrome reflective innards, but they arn't as bright when the lens is put back on.

iceman
02-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by MikeNT256
They're clear, but have a darker tint to plastic lens. When Hurley had a set he cracked while clearing, I investigated a little. The inside has chrome reflective innards, but they arn't as bright when the lens is put back on.

Well yeah thats a no brainer, optical properties of an object change when viewed through another... Not tinted per se thats just the effects of the plastic

RedGrandTour
02-09-2004, 06:55 AM
I know my headlights aren't so smooth on surface any more. Highway driving and rock chips are to blame. Also, in the summer big bugs would splatter on the headlights on my way to work. I wouldn't clean that off right away. I've never had the condensation problem so my headlights are still clear when cleaned. They just feel a little gritty.

SilverEcstasy
02-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Same here. Especially now that i'm driving a lot farther to work, I am going to have to clean them more, or use that Glaze that seth suggested.