The springy metal piece on the TSA [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : The springy metal piece on the TSA

nonchron
02-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know what this thing does? No particlar reason why..... :rolleyes:

It's the shiney metal piece that sticks out towards the wheel and when it's installed propperly it presses against a disk attached to the column. I'm just wondering if this is anything critical.

More description -> It's spring loaded, and it drags along the side of the disk mentioned above, which is -just- behind the wheel. It's on the left side opposite the four-connector for the turn signal.

Since 'the incident' my ALS thinks my headlights should be on all the time, but that's probably an unrelated issue.

Gimli
02-09-2004, 06:34 AM
What's TSA?
What disc are you talking about? The brake rotor? Attached to what column?
You have turn signal connectors behind the wheels?

You've confused the hell out of me buddy...

71Z28RS
02-09-2004, 07:59 AM
:confused: I think he's talking about the Turbo Super Accelerator (TSA). It makes the car go mega fast........ *banana*

nonchron
02-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Haha.. sorry, Turn Signal Assembly, steering column, and no, no turn signals behind the wheels.

There have been some semi-recent threads on the part, but you're right, that post is wicked ambiguous even if you read through it a couple times.

Gimli
02-11-2004, 03:21 AM
OK, now that's much clearer :)

Could it be the part that senses when you turn your steering wheel to turn off the flashers?

71Z28RS
02-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Same thing I was going to say.....

PACE
02-11-2004, 06:28 AM
If its mal-functioning, check your blinker fluid.....it might be low.

71Z28RS
02-11-2004, 07:31 AM
It's right next to the distributor.....

SilverStreak
02-11-2004, 08:55 AM
PACE,
They recommend changing blinker fluid every 3,000 blinks.

mjhurley1
02-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by SilverStreak
PACE,

Unless it's synthetic. Then you can go 4,500 blinks. :D

PACE
02-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by SilverStreak
PACE,

I know but I lost count around 2,384 so I started over...Hope I don't blow my blinker gasket! :(

02PONtiac!
02-11-2004, 09:42 AM
just run a compression test on your blinker cylinder to make sure your not burning off the blinker fluid into your flux cupacitor.

Dr_Kyle
02-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Will you ghey blades get back on topic?! lol

nonchron
02-11-2004, 10:41 AM
yes.. well, anyways, no it's not the disk that pushes on the plastic lever to turn the signal off - that works fine, as does every control in the unit.

The only possible thing I could think of myself is that this part senses wheel position for some other device, or provides resistance when turning the wheel. I read somewhere that some GAGTs have a feature where the wheel turns nice and loosely at slow speeds, then gets a bit stiffer at highway speeds to make driving more comfortable. No idea how they'd actually implement that feature, but that's the only thing that I can come up with.

The piece itself actually looked like it conisted of two lengths of metal. As I said, it points rearward - towards the driver and the disc in question.

Gimli
02-11-2004, 12:36 PM
It might just be to keep the lever from shaking too much.

The variable steering assistance you're speaking of in located at the power steering pump. It fully assists steering at low speed and gradually scales down the assist untl it's inexistant at high speed. I love it...

nonchron
03-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Wuh oh.. My horn doesn't work. :O
Is that what it does?

I need to open things up at some point and take a look at the mechanisms. Could be that disk I'm talking about is rigged to the soft center of the wheel and nudges when pressed. However, for me the bars in question are jammed all the way in, so I'd think it would be full out blasting the whole time.

The car does beep when you hit panic or press the doorlocks once and wait.