Grand Am Overhaul [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grand Am Overhaul

danishman
02-08-2004, 06:30 PM
I have a 2000 grand am and want to beef it up. After looking at all my options I realized it would become pointless without RWD. What would be the easiest and cheapest way (if any) to do so? Thanks.:wave:

Black03SC/T
02-08-2004, 06:36 PM
CAI or WAI, Exhaust, Headers, Port and Polish the Intakes, headwork, supercharger or turbo, computer tune, there are many things you can do.

danishman
02-08-2004, 06:40 PM
I was thinking about that but thats not my problem. After alot of horse gets added to a FWD car the front tires will break loose. So I really think it would be good to get RWD, am I kinda right? Sorry, I'm a car junky in progress, lol. Thanks

fast_ga
02-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Umm, convert a grandam to rear drive?? Why bother man? Its been done yes, but how much money do you want to put into your grandam? Your talking a lot of cash! And the car i've seen it done to was pretty cool as far as idea and creativity but far from being done right. Dont waste your time, just do the basic stuff that you can with the grandam or get a rear drive car!! How bout a new GTO?? T/A, Camaro..... you know.

AznGA
02-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Ya...if you are thinking about converting this to RWD...it's not worth it. Otherwise you can start with intake or exhaust. Welcome. Where is Fairfield? I am starting to see more and more Iowa people on here. That is good.

tetrasion
02-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Dont let these fools get you down! You can do it man!

AznGA
02-09-2004, 10:36 AM
It has been done................

danishman
02-09-2004, 05:39 PM
I can see where youre coming from, but I dont care that its been done. I would get another car but I've fallen in love with my gt. Money isnt a big deal, but I would like to save where I can. I just cant seem to get a good idea. Ive heard to just get a firebird frame and put a gt body on it or just rebuild the gt frame. I'm really lost in the matter so I dont really know how reasonable these ideas are. Oh and Fairfield is in the southeastern corner of Iowa, next to ottumwa

Hexx
02-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Make it AWD. Now that would be something ;)

danishman
02-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Okay, new development.....I got to looking at how much work switching the gt to RWD that I decided that it wouldnt be worth it. Now im looking at the FWD possibilities. Is there anything I can do to reduce tire spin off the line? I've thought about adding more weight to the front axle and things like that but I'm not for sure on how well that will work. Any suggestions?

Hexx
02-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by danishman
Okay, new development.....I got to looking at how much work switching the gt to RWD that I decided that it wouldnt be worth it. Now im looking at the FWD possibilities. Is there anything I can do to reduce tire spin off the line? I've thought about adding more weight to the front axle and things like that but I'm not for sure on how well that will work. Any suggestions?

Just get better, wider tires.

balludc
02-10-2004, 10:58 PM
more weight = bad

with the weight of the engine, you wouldnt want to ADD weight... just get some sticky wide tires and you'd be fine. still spin some, but you cant help some.

-dc

kubiache
02-11-2004, 04:47 AM

Really really big turbo. That way you've got tons of turbo lag and no low end. Hell, it worked for Scott Cook's GTP.

Giving up on the RWD thing is the best idea you've had yet.

MetaGTP1
02-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by kubiache
Really really big turbo. That way you've got tons of turbo lag and no low end. Hell, it worked for Scott Cook's GTP.

Giving up on the RWD thing is the best idea you've had yet. Yeah, but Scott's car has an awesome top end.:thumbs:

kubiache
02-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by KmanGT1
Yeah, but Scott's car has an awesome top end.:thumbs:

Exactly! :thumbs:

coupe
02-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Thats a hell of a machine man.
RWD breaks rubber just as much as a FWD. How would it be any different?

safemode
02-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Cuz the letter R is so much faster than the F, i mean you dont see people putting type F stickers on their car. There's a reason why. R forever!

danishman
02-11-2004, 04:36 PM
ooookay...quarter pounder? *shakes head* BIG MAC MAN!BIG MAC! lol anyway....I've thought up some more stuff.......www.moroso.com and I quote..."Moroso Front-Wheel-Drive Traction Kit" Do these work?????????

kubiache
02-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Post up a part # or a link to the exact page.....maybe I'm dumb, but I can't find it on there.

danishman
02-12-2004, 05:18 AM
Hmmm....well it says it doesnt have it but i have it right here in super street mag. It says its number is 203/453-6571