headlights blew out...??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : headlights blew out...???

tammikm
02-09-2004, 01:19 PM
first my driver's side headlight blew out and the SVS light came on, now the next day mt passenger side headlight blew out... what would cause the bulbs to go at the same time, I thought it was strange, anyways I bought some silverstars to replace them, I hope there is nothing else wrong, these puppies are expensive

anyone else have both bulbs blow within a day of each other??

Kdawg207
02-09-2004, 01:20 PM
yes...replaced em and never looked back...if it happens again get worried...and as usual don't touch the glass when installing the bulbs

Panacea
02-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Make sure you do not touch the bulbs when you install them, if you do, make sure you wipe them down with rubbing alcohol before you use them. The oils from your fingures will decrease the bulbs life significantly!

Kdawg207
02-09-2004, 01:53 PM
yeah...what he said, i said...lol

Panacea
02-09-2004, 02:20 PM
^^ hahah I didn't read your post thoroughly... .Oh well, you didn't mention the rubbing alcohol part, so yeah :p ahah

Kdawg207
02-09-2004, 02:29 PM
i know...i'm just bein an ass

AznGA
02-09-2004, 03:15 PM
My fog bulbs burnt out within about 2 days of each other, so ya it can happen. When you have DRL enabled and if one of the headlight bulbs go out, DRL automatically diables and you will get a SVS light.

tenspeed
02-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by tammikm
anyone else have both bulbs blow within a day of each other??

Yes, I had both low beams out at the same time. Thought something was wrong with the circuit.

Pep Boys has a silverstar sale until the end of Feb. $16.88 and a $5 rebate. Check their site for the coupon in the flyer.

Azrael
02-09-2004, 08:58 PM
I hear that when one bulb goes out it a surge goes through the second one and drastically shortens it's life. In any case, when one headlight goes out, your supposed to replace both.

tenspeed
02-10-2004, 05:06 AM
I would doubt that much of a surge is present. You get much more of a surge starting your car.

You should, however, replace both bulbs at the same time. The remaining bulb is near the end of it's useful life and would be dimmer than a new bulb. Replacing both insures both are the same brightness. Also you wound be out there a month later changing the other bulb when it blows.

cals400ex
02-11-2004, 09:47 PM
how does everyone like those silverstars? i have the eurolight bulbs because i don't want to go with high wattage. i think they are either the stock wattage or 10W's higher than stock. i have a problem with those not lasting too long. yes, don't touch the bulbs. i never do but i still can't get those eurolight bulbs to last a year. i have went through a couple sets too. i have no problems with the stock ones though.

by the way, how do you adjust the height of the headlights? right now my left headlight is a little higher than my right one. i see where the adjustments are for moving the headlamp in and out but i can't seem to adjust the height too well. thanks

AznGA
02-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I like my Silverstars. They have been pretty good considering I have DRL on. Passenger side headlight is supposed to aim a little higher than the other, so you don't blind the oncoming traffic. There is a little gold metal stick that you can turn if you wanna adjust.

klc317
02-12-2004, 04:29 AM
Unless your headlights are way out of whack to start with, theres no real reason to turn the adjusters when you change bulbs.

And about the Silverstars....I love them. I've had mine in for...I'd guess 5 or 6 months now, and I also have the DRL functional.

NYCgrandam37
02-29-2004, 03:57 PM
if you dont mind me asking wahst the DRL? is it some after market thing or some switch on teh car?
thanks

AznGA
02-29-2004, 04:36 PM
DRL = Daytime Running Lights. Your car has it. Whenever you shift out of park, your headlights will turn on with lower voltage than actual headlight at nights.

NYCgrandam37
02-29-2004, 04:51 PM
thanks, can beleive i didnt figure that out myself, feel kinda stupid now. thanks !

AznGA
02-29-2004, 05:21 PM
No problem. It's ok. It took me a while for me to realize what DRL stands for.
:)