TB bypass mod? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : TB bypass mod?

djrkd
02-10-2004, 09:43 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2459290537 any truth to this mod?

PACE
02-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah it might help keep your TB a bit cooler.....but I wouldn't pay $10+ shipping for a 2 inch piece of rubber hose....buy one at the hardware store and do it yourself.

mfuller
02-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Not a shred.

71Z28RS
02-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I can see why they claim it would help. That's why alot of guys at the strip will throw bags of ice on their intakes between runs. Denser air means more oxygen which means fuel can be burned which means more power, but........with more fuel I would expect a drop in your fuel economy. When it's colder outside, the engine runs richer until the engine warms up. So if the TB stays cold, the engine continues to run richer, right?
Plus, their horsepower numbers are a bit misleading. They say the part is for the Grand Am, but when they show the engine power curve, they show the test vehicle as a camaro making more than twice the horsepower of a Grand Am and running a 4:11 rear gear. If you got an improvement, I'd guess maybe a couple of horses. The mod shouldn't hurt anything though other than take a dozen miles off a tank of gas, so if you want to give it a try I'd second PACE's suggestion. Buy the hose at the auto store and clamp it on. 50 cents for the hose and a buck or two for the clamps. But, I know a guy who did the same thing to his mustang and he said he had to switch it back during the wintertime because the was getting some icing occuring in the ithrottle body and it wasn't running very smoothly in the cold at startup.

klc317
02-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Thats exactly what happened to my friends Mustang. It really isn't worth the hassle. For the millisecond that the air is running through the TB, its not going to heat up the air much anyway.

Dr_Kyle
02-10-2004, 02:04 PM
This mod is very helpful if you remove your TB often. I can't imagine unhooking the hoses each time, spilling coolant, etc just for a manifold swap.

Gt00
02-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by klc317
For the millisecond that the air is running through the TB, its not going to heat up the air much anyway. Exactly right , at the velocity the air is going through the TB it would make little or no difference . The EGR also heats up the TB and the coolant actually helps keep it cooler . Good Mod for race track for sure but not on your everyday driver ! :D