2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution RS [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution RS

ArcticGT
02-10-2004, 04:46 PM
A cheaper Evolution???

Only 700 of these Special Edition RS model Evo's will be sold this year. It will retain the EvoVIII 2.0L DOHC 16 valve intercooled turbocharged I-4 engine and the spec power numbers of 271 hp and 273 ft-lbs of torque as well. The difference lies in the weight of the cars, Mitsubishi pretty much gutted the car of 150 lbs. To do that the car was stripped of the rear wing spoiler, rear wiper, HID headlights, AC, audio system, power locks, and power windows that are featured in the EvoVIII. Now you might wonder what is the upside, lower price, $26,500 US dollars is the estimated price on these. Whether you will be able to get one from a dealer at this price remains to be scene.

More information and pictures can be found HERE (http://www.import-heaven.net/specs_mitsubishi_lancer_evo_rs.shtml)

Kdawg207
02-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Link works...pics dont

looks good though...great times

Black03SC/T
02-10-2004, 04:49 PM
WOW, bone stock and it runs a 13.2!

ArcticGT
02-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Pictures Courtsey of www.edmunds.com

No radio
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2003/sema/04.mistubishi.evo.rs/04.mitsubishi.evo.rs.int.500.jpg

No Spoiler
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2003/sema/04.mistubishi.evo.rs/04.mitsubishi.evo.rs.r34.500.jpg

You can also check out this monthes issue of super street for a write up and more pictures. They have a nice shot of the trunk-no acoustical padding and you can see fluid tanks along the fenders. Definately race ready, kiss ABS good bye as well :)

Mike3800
02-10-2004, 06:21 PM
http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/ups/budaz/jerk.gif

Panacea
02-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Yeah a 2.0L with a turbo with 271hp, and 2 something torque... 2.4L Ecotec (or 2.2?) pushes 205 hp (or something like that) GO GM!!!!

teambeechstreet
02-12-2004, 02:21 AM
i'd rather just drop the extra cash and get a normal, slightly slower Evo VIII w/ all the goodies

VTECSiGAH8R
02-12-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Panacea
Yeah a 2.0L with a turbo with 271hp, and 2 something torque... 2.4L Ecotec (or 2.2?) pushes 205 hp (or something like that) GO GM!!!!

If GM built something with that much power, who would have the money to pay for the insurance for it? Unless of course GM made a Rally car that was AWD and cost $30,000 also and the people would have to have enough money to buy the car in the first place so that insurance shouldn't be an issue....of course who the hell in their right mind would by a rally car made by GM?? Now you see the issue they face when possibly designing something to compete.

Look at Saab, uses the same Ecotec engine, but has some damn high performance versions availible, since they charge so much for the car and it's worth it, the luxury of power reflected on insurance bills is not an issue.

And of course 4g63 > *

Mike3800
02-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by VTECSiGAH8R
If GM built something with that much power, who would have the money to pay for the insurance for it?

The same people that have enough money to pay for the insurance on the Mistu.

They need to become more compedative performance wise, not make excuses. They can do it. If Dodge can compete with an SRT4 to name just 1 car... GM can make something.

Sorry_Officer
02-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Panacea

You forgot about the turbo and intercooler setup attached to that 4-banger. Do that to an Eco-tec.....

Sorry_Officer
02-12-2004, 12:27 PM
My thoughts on the RS. Good for Mitsu, also a good option for people who want an Evo but can't afford the loaded one. I would probably buy the RS over the regular version because it's like having a empty plate and you get to customize it anyway you want. Just think how many people have swapped out the stock stereo, stock spoiler, and other stuff on GA's. Here's your chance to buy a blank car (the only thing that bothers me is no AC) and make it what you want it to be and not pay for stuff you would take off and replace anyways.

Good for the no ABS, I hate ABS.

VTECSiGAH8R
02-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mike3800
The same people that have enough money to pay for the insurance on the Mistu.

They need to become more compedative performance wise, not make excuses. They can do it. If Dodge can compete with an SRT4 to name just 1 car... GM can make something.

Unless of course GM made a Rally car that was AWD and cost $30,000 also and the people would have to have enough money to buy the car in the first place so that insurance shouldn't be an issue....of course who the hell in their right mind would by a rally car made by GM?? Now you see the issue they face when possibly designing something to compete.

This is of course considering the history of the Lancer and WRX. Who wants to buy a $30,000+ Rally version of an Ion or something when they can get the Evo and WRX which are proven....well...the Evo more proven than the new STi since the STi uses a different turbo engine than the STi in Japan has been using for years. The 4g63 is a proven beast of an engine tho.

Mike3800
02-12-2004, 05:11 PM
This is of course considering the history of the Lancer and WRX. Who wants to buy a $30,000+ Rally version of an Ion or something when they can get the Evo and WRX which are proven....well...the Evo more proven than the new STi since the STi uses a different turbo engine than the STi in Japan has been using for years. The 4g63 is a proven beast of an engine tho.

Most people that buy either don't know anything about the history of either car. (STi and EVO)

The SRT4 has no "history" either.

VTECSiGAH8R
02-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Most people that buy either don't know anything about the history of either car. (STi and EVO)

The SRT4 has no "history" either.

Yeah but apparently you can sit behind the wheels of an Evo and/or STi and tell that they have put some work into the car (can feel that the cars are not just first editions). Especially the Lancer, the handling is supposed to be amazing, and in the STi the torque is nice. This isn't stuff those cars instantly got, they had to be refined over and over to get to where they are.

It's not that GM couldn't throw out a Rally car, but they couldn't do it and beat the competition and match prices. These cars have Brembo brakes, engines putting out way over 100 hp per liter, nice rims/tires/lightweight seats, AWD. All that adds up to a lot of money in R&D, in which case GM would come to the market waaaaay after the Evo and STi had already established themselves to all those people that are supposidly clueless as to the history of the Evo and STi (which I would like you to show me with a link BTW) and it would probably have to cost more money and would probably not perform as good.

And then, even if they did come out with a car with that much power and sportiness, it would still have hella insurance costs, which diverts even more customers (aside from the pricetag), making it a completely stupid financial mistake for GM and a waste of good R&D money and resources.

The SRT-4 is also $20,000 and rated at 215 hp, a little different than $30-33,000 those nearly 300 hp AWD beasts run for Mike.

As for the RS and it's price....well....that's an odd car. Without the wing it actually doesn't look as good to me, as rediculous as that sounds, and without A/C or a radio or other amenities and without ABS, this thing is gonna be for a VERY VERY SMALL group of people.

Anyway, I still will stick with the theory that GM doesn't release high HP versions of the ecotec for their base cars due to insurance costs. I mean I'm sure it would have been nice to have a 230 hp rated Saturn ION Redline...but it's much better to have a 205 hp rated one and pay the insurance for that and get 230 hp in reality. :)

Mike3800
02-13-2004, 10:11 AM

The SRT-4 is also $20,000 and rated at 215 hp, a little different than $30-33,000 those nearly 300 hp AWD beasts run for Mike.

SRT4 isn't much slower than the base WRX if at all. My point is they need to make some compedative performance cars. GTO isn't in the same class but G6 GTP is a step in the right direction.

Anyway, I still will stick with the theory that GM doesn't release high HP versions of the ecotec for their base cars due to insurance costs.

If they see high performance cars selling very well, they are pretty stupid to not release a high performance car in the same class.

Could be one reason why that now Toyota sells more cars than GM does. Not more vehicles, but more cars.

Changes need to happen or they will continue to slowly start dropping in rank for overall vehicle sales.

PontiacGT2K
02-13-2004, 03:14 PM
I'd still take the STi over this car!

And agreed, GM sux0rz. And you can't compare the SRT-4 to an STi or Evo.

Mike3800
02-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by PontiacGT2K
And you can't compare the SRT-4 to an STi or Evo.

You can and I just did. Compact cars. Turbocharged. 4 door. 4 cyl. The only thing they don't have in common is FWD vs AWD and the price tag.

PontiacGT2K
02-13-2004, 03:53 PM
The chassis, suspension, brakes, drivetrain......those make more of a difference than how many doors it has.

Mike3800
02-13-2004, 05:21 PM
The chassis, suspension, brakes, drivetrain......those make more of a difference than how many doors it has.

True... The STi and Evo are just as dissimilar with each other as the SRT4 with either of them in that respect. What's your point?

As far as performance they are all similar. Ever read any reviews on the handling of the SRT4? Or do you just think basically it's a stock Neon with a 2.4 turbo in it?

PontiacGT2K
02-14-2004, 03:32 AM
Uh...no. The SRT-4 has a reg. old pos neon chassis. The suspension and brakes are upgraded a bit, but still have much room for improvement. All around, driving that car made me think "wow....it's a fast neon".

After driving the STi and Evo....I was left with a large grin on my face. Those things have the tightest suspensions/chassis/transaxles I've ever felt in a vehicle. There was a night and day difference.

Ever drive the SRT4, STi, and Evo? Or do you just think basically whatever magazines say is true?

Mike3800
02-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Uh...no. The SRT-4 has a reg. old pos neon chassis.

First off, other car makers need to take notes on the Neon's chassis. Why? Because it is in-expensive yet it is very solid. Great improvement over the 99's and older.

The suspension and brakes are upgraded a bit, but still have much room for improvement.

A bit? OK... you obviously don't know. All cars have room for improviment in every area.

All around, driving that car made me think "wow....it's a fast neon".

Your driving impression vs. the car mags.... yep.. I'll go with the car mag drivers in this case.

PontiacGT2K
02-16-2004, 12:51 PM
First off, other car makers need to take notes on the Neon's chassis. Why? Because it is in-expensive yet it is very solid. Great improvement over the 99's and older.
A bit? OK... you obviously don't know. All cars have room for improviment in every area.
Your driving impression vs. the car mags.... yep.. I'll go with the car mag drivers in this case. The neons' chassis isn't solid. The neons' suspension and brakes didn't match up to the STi's or EVO's at all. And take whoevers' driving impression you want, the SRT-4 blew compared to the other two. It's a fast economy car compared to two detuned rally race cars.

Go drive them yourself and tell me what you think.

Mike3800
02-16-2004, 02:00 PM
It's a fast economy car compared to two detuned rally race cars.

Go drive them yourself and tell me what you think.

:nono:

Lancer = Evo/Evo RS

Impreza = WRX/WRX STi

Neon = SRT4

They are all built off economy car platforms. The Impreza and Evo are NOT de-tuned rally cars by a LONG SHOT... It's not even CLOSE!!!! Don't let marketing and sales cloud your thinking that badly. "Rally Inspired" is what Subaru says it's STi is in it's advertisment.

PontiacGT2K
02-16-2004, 02:03 PM
:nono:

Lancer = Evo/Evo RS

Impreza = WRX/WRX STi

Neon = SRT4

They are all built off economy car platforms. The Impreza and Evo are NOT de-tuned rally cars by a LONG SHOT... It's not even CLOSE!!!! Don't let marketing and sales cloud your thinking that badly. "Rally Inspired" is what Subaru says it's STi is in it's advertisment. :nono: Go drive the cars, and tell me what you think. The STi and EVO were the most solid cars I've ever driven. Suspension, transaxle, and braking has a lot to do with it....along with the stiff chassis.

Seriously, go drive them.

Mike3800
02-16-2004, 02:12 PM
:nono: Go drive the cars, and tell me what you think. The STi and EVO were the most solid cars I've ever driven. Suspension, transaxle, and braking has a lot to do with it....along with the stiff chassis.

Seriously, go drive them.

I have driven several WRX..

The neon chassis is stiff and VERY sold. I have driven several.

Seriously... you think a WRX or an Evo is really a detuned rally car?

Then the Grand Am is a detuned funny car. lol

http://www.dragracecentral.com/stories/photos_go_here_03/mitchsmith_12-11a.jpg

PontiacGT2K
02-16-2004, 02:35 PM
I have driven several WRX..

The neon chassis is stiff and VERY sold. I have driven several.

Seriously... you think a WRX or an Evo is really a detuned rally car?

Then the Grand Am is a detuned funny car. lol

http://www.dragracecentral.com/stories/photos_go_here_03/mitchsmith_12-11a.jpg The WRX doesn't compare to the STi.

I'd put the WRX in the same class as the SRT-4......but not the STi.

MafiatRomo
02-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Evo VIII > all

black99gt
02-17-2004, 12:34 PM
at the local autocross here in columbus... EVOs are beating STis all day long by .5-2 seconds.

Ide choose the EVO over all of them by far.

Buschur racing has managed an 11.65 1/4 out of a BONE STOCK evo motor... STOCK turbo as well. Just some race gas and a whole bunch of tuning. As far as the STI... I dont have a clue as to what they are doing with them as far as stock motors and a stock turbo goes. With the extra .5L of displacement, the STi should be romping on the EVO.. but thats hardly the case.

I dont know what the point to this post is really.. I like all 3. EVO, STI and SRT4 are cool cars.

VTECSiGAH8R
02-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by black99gt
at the local autocross here in columbus... EVOs are beating STis all day long by .5-2 seconds.

Ide choose the EVO over all of them by far.

Buschur racing has managed an 11.65 1/4 out of a BONE STOCK evo motor... STOCK turbo as well. Just some race gas and a whole bunch of tuning. As far as the STI... I dont have a clue as to what they are doing with them as far as stock motors and a stock turbo goes. With the extra .5L of displacement, the STi should be romping on the EVO.. but thats hardly the case.

I dont know what the point to this post is really.. I like all 3. EVO, STI and SRT4 are cool cars.

HKS 264 INTAKE AND 264 EXHAUST CAMSHAFTS
BR FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER KIT
BR 3" FULL EXHAUST
SUPER AFC w/BR CALIBRATION
255LPH FUEL PUMP, 660CC INJECTORS

= not stock motor by any stretch of the imagination. That's also at the limit of the turbo I believe.

Still impressive, but not a "bone stock motor" at all, especially since I consider bone stock to be how it is driven off the lot, including the gas they put in at the lot (not race fuel) and stock engine management, while some people consider a bone stock motor to be one with no internal mods (pistons, rods, crankshaft, boring, stroking, cams, valvetrain upgrades, port and polishing, etc., but with a 4G63 all that stuff is very beefed up and solid anyway so of course it's gonna pump out good numbers without modding that stuff), but bolt ons, tuning, fuel, etc. can be changed.

Mike3800
02-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by MafiatRomo
Evo VIII > all

STi> EvoVIII

PontiacGT2K
02-17-2004, 03:52 PM
STi> EvoVIII w3rd.

VTECSiGAH8R
02-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Performance-wise, the Evo handles better I believe and the 4g63 is proven. The 2.5 in the Impreza is not proven, however it has good low end torque and nice power compared to the Evo.