What went wrong? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong?

SSRacer
02-10-2004, 05:51 PM
My car is a 2002 GA GT with just over 40K on the odometer. The Lower intake gasket was leaking out, so I got all the parts to fix it and went at it this weekend. When I got done and started it back up, there was a very loud ticking/knocking noise.

I imediately assumed I had missaligned one of the pushrods. I shut it down and broke bak into it today. Ofcourse I dropped one of the pushrods into the engine, so instead of just the valve covers, I had to rip it all appart again.

I made very sure that all the rockers and pushrods went back on in the same places, made sure they were well lubed and double cheked all their alignments as I torqued them down. (168 in. lb. + 30 degrees - Haynes Manual)

I got it all back together about a half an hour ago and it is doing the same thing. It is knocking sound that increases speed and volume with the engine. I'd hate to have to take this thing to the dealer now, after everything that I have already done.

Any Ideas appreciated...

HELP!

71Z28RS
02-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Could be that there is still some coolant junk in the oil galleys and you're not getting enough oil to your valvetrain (revving up the engine would increase your oil pressure and possibly force the crap out, though I'm not recommending that you do that). Or that you got some coolant in the lifters and they need to be cleaned out because they aren't sealing properly so they aren't pumping themselves up properly....Major rule though: if you can hear it, it's wearing parts. Noise=damage. I wouldn't run it too much until you figure it out. I guess the main thing is....is it a knock or a tick? Is it focused around the upper part of the engine or down in the oil pan? Just to rule out the most obvious....there's fresh oil in the engine, right? Did you mark the lifters and rods and make sure to put them with the same rockers/cam lobes as before? Any chance the timing is off and it's not a tick, it's detonation? Just some ideas.

SSRacer
02-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I changed the oil when I made the repair the first time.

I broke down today and called the dealer and had it towed there. :(

Decided it would be better than possibly damaging anything trying to figure it out on my own. Plus I'm so frustrated with it that I don't beel like breaking any of it down again. Should hear from them tomorrow on what is going on.

Turbodreams-se
02-12-2004, 10:21 AM
I have almost the same problem... except mine is a 2.4. how much did your dealer charge you? I think I am giving up and going to have them fix the sound.

SSRacer
02-12-2004, 10:07 PM
So far, the dealer doesn't know what is wrong either. They pulled the valve covers and checked the valve train and said it was in good shape and I had everything back in correctly. Last time I talked to them they were waiting on a scope so they could look inside without tearing the engine down, and see if something managed to "fall in".

No word on what the cost is so far, but they told me if they have to tear it down and put it back together (which I have already done twice in the past week :mad: ) it'll cost about $600.

They mentioned something about if they have to replace the manifold, it's $900 for a new one. I'm gonna have to have them elaborate on that one. First of all, aren't the manifolds basically just tunnels, how the heck would they go bad. Second, I'll get one a whole lot cheaper and do that myself.

Hopefully I'll find out more tomorrow.

Turbodreams-se
02-12-2004, 10:10 PM
that problem just killed my engine.

Black Z28
02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
the only way you'd need to replace your intake manifold is if it cracks or warps. but that wouldn't cause the knocking noise. without hearing it myself, i don't think i could tell you what it is. remember, you can always have it towed back to your house and fix it yourself once they diagnose the problem and then want to charge you an arm and a leg to fix it.

SSRacer
02-13-2004, 07:03 AM
That option is definately on my mind

SSRacer
02-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Well, the dealer has checked the engine and come up with only one conclusion...new lifters. They said everything was put back together properly and the pushrods and rockers were fine. Their conclusion was that the only thing that could be making the noise is the lifters. Should be done tomorrow at about $1350. :mad:

SSRacer
02-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Here's the quote from my receipt:
"Customer states that just replaced intake and now engine has a loud knocking noise that gets louder with speed. Please check and advise.
Found liftersclattering. Replaced lifters. All necessary seals and gaskets. Changed oil and filter. Ran veh to bleed lifters. After bleeding lifters only noise still present is wrist pin noise from 1 or 3 cylinder. Rechecked veh and found no other problems at this time."

After a 5% off coupon, my total was $1241.74

Still don't know how the lifters suddenly went bad, and got no real answer from the dealer. :confused: :mad:

But, she's running normal again, thank God.

Turbodreams-se
02-22-2004, 01:57 AM
ughhh..... sounds like my problem too... at least i have a spare engine here to take parts from... :) as long as I can get this freakin crank pulley off.

Formula88
02-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I wonder if your lifters needed replacing or if they just needed to be bled? They said they had to bleed the new ones.. maybe that needed to be done to the old ones?

But if any gunk, etc., got into the lifters, it could easily clog up the oil passages and ruin one. And if you've got to tear into to replace lifters, might as well replace them all.

Sorry to hear it cost so much. :(

action
02-23-2004, 08:46 AM
I'd say that the lifers wern't bled or weren't gettting oil and that caused premature wear of the lifters.

SSRacer
02-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, I guess next time I have to replace that gasket (and from what I have read, there will be a next time) I'll just have to pull the lifters and make sure all the oil passages are clear. Considering that's only 4 more bolts, I'd wrather do that then go through all of this again.