Autotrans Question...Different kind [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Autotrans Question...Different kind

EBlend
02-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Hello
I just got my autotrans interceptor that i bought used for $20 shipped :D now, i am not looking for performance gains here, what i am looking into is to up my line pressure just a little bit. What happens now is my car hasitates to switch gears when going around 60-80km/h. If i give it more gas it switches in fine. Now, I read some bad things about the product, but my intentions is not to make it shift hard, i just want it to shift normal, giving a little more pressure to push that solenoid to switch gears. Can i just have it on really low setting and not cause any problems? Thanks

UNCTYPE-S
02-11-2004, 01:38 PM
why would u buy the ATI and not want it to shift a little firmer. thats the whole point of the thing.

all i know is i had a solenoid problem when i installed that thing. ive never had it turned up all the way, i had it low for everyday driving and i still got firm shifts.

in order to increase line pressure, u have to turn it up, so why did u buy it then if u want shifts to be normal.

PACE
02-11-2004, 02:06 PM
be careful from what I learned using it is that if you have your ATI turned all the way down pressure will be less than stock....have it turned up to high and you will slap your trans around like the little bitch it is :). Good lcuk

EBlend
02-11-2004, 05:38 PM
thanks
well i don't want too much firmer, well i do but not to the extent where its going to damage my tranny. What do you think it should be turned up to to be about factory? i don't want it to be lower then factory when i put it in there, i want it to be about factory, and then increase it from there

UNCTYPE-S
02-11-2004, 05:54 PM
that doesnt make any sense bud, unless im not getting what u are saying. if u want it to be about factory, then why buy the thing at all, and just leave it factory. the point in getting it is to make it FIRMER THEN FACTORY. no matter if you turn it up a little or a lot, its gonna be firmer then factory.

EBlend
02-11-2004, 06:21 PM
well i just want it to up the pressure a little bit to make it shift a little firmer, just enought for my solinoid to work normally, it seems like now its not gettting enough pressure so it not shifting correctly, i just want to give it a little more so it shifts right in. I understand it will be firmer, but i just want it little bit firmer, i guess i will just play with it. Do i have to turn off the car and unplug battery to change the settings on it?

UNCTYPE-S
02-11-2004, 06:54 PM
lol, first u want it to be like stock, now u want it to be a little firmer. yikes. anyway, just install it and u can adjust it with the car on or off. preferebly adjust it when the engine is cold cause u have to take that little peg and reach down to adjust it, and my arm has hit some very hot spots down there while trying to adjust it, so i would wait for the engine to cool down to avoid getting burned.

Blackalero3400
05-18-2004, 08:50 AM
the auto trans isn't able to let your pressure go lower then stock. If you put it on as low as it goes that should be stock. I only have mine, as to where i can feel it a lil bit firmer, if i had it on any more then the car would seem to over heat... it also gave me a SES light....

action
05-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Why don't you just get your car fixed properly before you install that thing??? Why the hell would you mod a tranny that's not workign right to start??? Your only masking the problem and creating a ticking time bomb for a tranny melt down if you think the ATI will fix the transmission's shifting.

PACE
05-18-2004, 09:29 AM
the auto trans isn't able to let your pressure go lower then stock. If you put it on as low as it goes that should be stock. I only have mine, as to where i can feel it a lil bit firmer, if i had it on any more then the car would seem to over heat... it also gave me a SES light....

WRONG. With the ATI you can go softer than stock.

Blackalero3400
05-18-2004, 09:37 AM
http://www.autotransinc.com/intercept.htm

Q. Can you decrease line pressure?

A. No, the pressure can only be increased from the level it was prior to fitting the Interceptor.

Thats what i was going by... then agian they may say anything since they wana sell them right...