Gas mileage dropped 5 miles [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage dropped 5 miles

mightypan42
02-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I normally get 19-20 miles per gallon. When I filled the tank yesterday, I calculated about 14.2 miles per gallon. I haven't done any harsh driving recently, and there's no sign of a leak in my gas tank.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

klc317
02-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Probably cold weather. Cars use alot more fuel in the winter during "warm-up" mode.

Panacea
02-11-2004, 05:57 PM
The cold weather, i concur... There are many factors, like how long you let your car warm up before driving it, how much stop and go traffic there is. Whether your car warms up totally between trips, or it gets sort of warm. Many different factors....

mightypan42
02-11-2004, 07:37 PM
As far as the weather goes, it's been more or less the same for the last few months. If anything, it's warmed up a little.

Probly the warming up part that's killing me. How does that work? Less warm-up time, more gas used? On most of my trips, the car ends up warm, but there's not enough time to warm up between work and home.

Panacea
02-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Basically your car is consuming more fuel as it's warming up. If you notice when the engine is hot the idle is at 600rpm, whereas when the engine is cold it is around 1000rpm. SO you're consuming more fuel. Also, the engine doesn't run as effeciently cold as it does when it's warmed up. Also, driving habits play into it, you may not realize the difference in your driving habit's, but the mileage can.

I don't know how to efficiently use the gas in the cold. I usually let it sit for 10-15 seconds then start going and not push it past 2000rpms for a few mintues, other times I'll let it warm up about 3 minutes before going. Just depends on how much of a hurry I am...

klc317
02-12-2004, 04:32 AM
My remote start is my gas guzzler. When its cold out, I usually start the car up about 5 minutes before I leave. I don't mind paying a little extra for gas to get into an almost warm car, and it makes me feel better to have the oil circulating and a little warm before I drive the car.