brake squeak... oi [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : brake squeak... oi

mr_eh
02-11-2004, 10:30 PM
new brakes, wtf? they been squeaking since i got them on, when i come to a stop at low mph... is there something i can spray on em or look for physical damage to them to cause this? its really annoying

AznGA
02-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Stand still and press the pedal...does it squeak?

mr_eh
02-11-2004, 10:38 PM
no it doesn't squeak when its stopped

edit: or coming to a stop for that matter, its just at very low speeds like 5-10 stop and go it squeaks like a mother f'cker

71Z28RS
02-12-2004, 08:58 AM
I always use that blue squeal silencer goop on the back of pads whenever I do a brake job. If your new brakes are squealing at low speeds, it's due to vibration between the caliper and the backs of the pads. Take them apart and put the blue goop on (available at any parts store for a couple of bucks). That'll solve your problem.

Panacea
02-12-2004, 11:38 AM
^^ Yup you're always supposed to do that when you put new pads on.

eren00gt
02-12-2004, 12:19 PM
A friend of mine who is a tech at the local pontiac dealership helped me put new rotors and and pads on the front of my GA. I'm glad he was there because when we put on the carbon metallic pads they don't fit as snug as the stock ones and since he had dealt with this before all he did was take and bend in those little metal tabs that hold the pads in place to snug up to the new ones. I haven't heard a peep from my brakes yet and that was almost a month ago. If I had done it myself I would have just slapped the new ones in there and they would probably be squeallin like a stuck pig. Now I know for future reference what to do.