switch panel help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : switch panel help

zhd1000
02-12-2004, 06:39 PM
ok so I'm wanting to make a switch panel where the tape player is and had a few questions. First question, what goes into relocating the tape player? Next, I want to have 3, 4 or more switches that power stuff and to have power when the car is on. I know that I just tap the radio fuse, but I also want to have one of the switches be a power switch to the rest of the switches when the car is off. So basically, I want the switches to have power when the car is running, but turn off when I shut the car off but be able to turn them on without putting the key in the ignition at all. Make sense? I tried making a diagram and have attached what I have so far. I guess my question is, how would I wire up the switches to do what I want?

edit: I didn't put the negative wires on the accessories becuase it would clutter the diagram.

silverbullet
02-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Here goes...(don't know if this will work, but hear me out)...

you have 4 switches labeled S1, S2, S3, & S4. S1 gets direct current from the battery. S2, S3, & S4 have to be powered off of an ACC line (ignition). The output of S2, S3, & S4 go to where ever you want (led's, neons, etc.). They should have power now when the car is running. The output of S1 has to power S2, S3, & S4. So, in theory the output of S1 could go to a distribution block which sends power to the other switches or the output of S1 could run in series to the other switches. I think the d-block would get the job done.

see what other people think...

zhd1000
02-12-2004, 11:00 PM
distribution block? ¿como?

tenspeed
02-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Attached is a wiring diagram. I don't have text for some reason but it seems pretty basic.

The switch on the left is a double throw. One of the wires coming in is from the accessory power, the other is from the battery or a constent power source. You can get a switch that also has a center off position. I would advise installing fuses on the input power sources.

zhd1000
02-14-2004, 10:12 PM
tenspeed - so with that setup basically there is a switch that in one position the assesories are running power from say the radio fuse. And in the other position, they will run on constent power. So how would I wire the switches? What connects to what?

AndyVTek
02-14-2004, 10:19 PM
All you need is a two-way switch (or whatever you wanna call it that has two positions)... connect both sources of power to it... this allows you to switch the circuit between the two sources. Then just patch that switch's out-line with the power to the other switches.

I doubt any of that made sense, as I am still workin' off the Valentine's Day So. Co.

Good luck! :thumbs:

tenspeed
02-15-2004, 11:23 AM
What is shown is called a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch. You can also get them with more poles. They are usually used for supplying power to one of two loads. Either load A or load B.

If you wire one power source (+12 VDC from battery) to one side and wire the other power source (accessory power that's controlled with the key) to the other side, then you can power one load with two different sources. You won't be back feeding power either.

Here's a tutorial on switches. The double pole switch diagram (#3) is near the bottom.

Basic electricity - switches (http://www.1728.com/project2.htm)

zhd1000
02-16-2004, 04:42 PM
ok i think i got it... here is my new diagram, tell me if this should work. And I can get this SPDT at most stores?

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=352725

tenspeed
02-16-2004, 06:21 PM
One small modifaction or clarification. On the switch, there are three tabs to attach the wire to. The center tab is the common. That's the on that feeds the other switches. The two power wires will go on the two outer tabs. They should be able to explain it at the store when you get the switch.

AndyVTek
02-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by zhd1000
ok i think i got it... here is my new diagram, tell me if this should work. And I can get this SPDT at most stores?

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=352725

:thumbs:

zhd1000
02-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by tenspeed
One small modifaction or clarification. On the switch, there are three tabs to attach the wire to. The center tab is the common. That's the on that feeds the other switches. The two power wires will go on the two outer tabs. They should be able to explain it at the store when you get the switch.

yeah i figured it would be something like that... i did it that way for simplicity.

thanks for all the help :wave: