car is dead... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car is dead...

Turbodreams-se
02-12-2004, 10:06 PM
MY car died today... the problem that i had, the ticking sound that got louder with engine speed, that started out sounding like a simple exhaust leak, got worse over the last 48 hours, and on a 3 minute drive, my engine started squeaking as if a belt was loose, and then cut off. wtf just happened? anybody?

Turbodreams-se
02-12-2004, 10:07 PM
oh and there was never any check engine light...

Jagey
02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
you let the problem go on for that long without doing anything about it?

Turbodreams-se
02-12-2004, 10:28 PM
that long is a week

71Z28RS
02-13-2004, 07:19 AM
Just to rule it out.......has anyone on here had any problems with their timing chain?

A squeak is a mechanical noise, so if it didn't throw any codes, I can't think of what it would be other than something like your timing chain or something similar that would make it cut out so suddenly without the computer picking up on a problem.

Just my 2 cents......

SC/TGrandAm
02-13-2004, 07:31 AM
did you make sure your accessory belt didnt fly off? Maybe thats first step...

71Z28RS
02-13-2004, 07:40 AM
That was my first thought too, but if the accessory belt came off, the car would throw the charge light right away because the alternator wouldn't be running anymore. Plus, the car wouldn't actually die until the battery ran down or until the car overheated due to the waterpump not spinning. Plus, the lack of powersteering would be a dead giveaway.

Molson
02-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you grenaded it. Did you check your oil? If timing chain broke, your valvles would be a puddle.

71Z28RS
02-13-2004, 07:51 AM
I was also thinking of a failed oil-pump causing it to seize, but I guess it'd give the low oil pressure light before that happened.

I guess I'll stick with the timing chain idea.....Hey Molson, do you know for sure that the pistons would hit an open valve on our cars? I know some cars have dished pistons that clear the valves even if they're open when they're not supposed to be, but I don't personally know how the GA's are set up. Just curious. I haven't known anyone who has lost a chain. Usually that problem is reserved for a belt type car.

Molson
02-13-2004, 07:58 AM
I *think* the 2.4 is a zero clearance engine, if so, yes, the pistons may hit the valves with a broken timing chain. With the chain broken, the cams will stop leaving whatever valve is open hanging.

71Z28RS
02-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Arrrg. Zero clearance would be mega suck. Explains why there is a chain. Have you ever known anyone who broke a chain? Like I said before, I had previously thought it was usually a problem reserved for timing belts.

Molson
02-13-2004, 08:07 AM
no, I don't think the chains are a problem on the 2.4's. When a chain gets loose you can usually hear it and know in advance. All it takes is to install new shoes/guides/tensionner.

71Z28RS
02-13-2004, 08:15 AM
But that's what I'm wondering....it sounds like maybe he did hear it.......

1/2dolla
02-13-2004, 08:19 AM
main bearing seizure?

Molson
02-13-2004, 08:20 AM
now that I re-read his post, its very possible. If it was drivin hard, and the chain stretched, its possible.

Ticking does sound right. Hmm.....

Turbodreams-se
02-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Ok It wasn't the accessory belt, the oil, or anything outside of the engine... whatever it was was on the opposite side of the motor from the timing chain. at least that is where the sound came from. I am having someone look at it later on today. Then, I will probably have a closer idea to what it was exactly.

Turbodreams-se
02-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 71Z28RS
I was also thinking of a failed oil-pump causing it to seize, but I guess it'd give the low oil pressure light before that happened.

just off hand, how long would your car be able to run with the oil pump out? I seriously doubt it would be anywhere near 3 or 4 weeks, but If it was possible, that could have been the root of the problems. or something very similar. I had the oil pressure light come on a month or so ago, because I had a bad drain plug. but that was fixed. maybe the running with low oil and not really knowing for a few hours took its toll on my engine? The light flashed on and went away very fast if that has anything to do with it.

atc3434
02-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Ticking, then sqeauling and locking up, sounds like something in the valvetrain. Wasn't knocking was it, just ticking right? Just for an idea, a tick is sharper, sound more pronouced, a knock is a deeper, almost muffled sound. Both speed up with engine speed. Tick - valvetrain, knock - bottom end.

Edit - After reading the post over again, the actual seizure sounds like a bearing if it through a squealing fit right before it locked up. Still, perhaps in the topend on a camshaft... guess you'll have to open her up to find out.

71Z28RS
02-13-2004, 10:52 AM
If the light flashed on for only a second, it was because your oil was low and you were doing some drastic movement (turning sharp, stopping fast, accelerating fast), so it caused the already low oil to slosh away from the oil pump and making the light blip on for a second. Low oil wouldn't blow your engine unless it had no oil pressure at all or extremely low pressure for an extended period of time.

The car woudn't run very long at all if your pump was bad, but like I said before, you'd be getting a oil pressure light if that were the case. I'd honestly be praying to the car gods that it isn't oil related. You're talking a completely trashed engine if that's the case....but since you said that the noise was localized on the opposite side of the timing chain and the oil light was not on, I'm going to guess that it's a valvetrain failure. Broken spring or snapped valvestem. Something like that. As long as the valve didn't drop into the combustion chamber, that wouldn't be as expensive of a fix to take care of.

atc3434
02-13-2004, 10:59 AM
I'd honestly be praying to the car gods that it isn't oil related.

Nice, I must remember my car god prayers!

Did you check the dipstick to see if you've got any metal shavings in the oil? I'd say another prayer to the car gods that there arn't any.

71Z28RS
02-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by atc3434
Nice, I must remember my car god prayers!

Did you check the dipstick to see if you've got any metal shavings in the oil? I'd say another prayer to the car gods that there arn't any.

Maybe even a sacrifice to the car gods as a show of respect......burn a festiva or something..... :slayer

atc3434
02-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Maybe even a sacrifice to the car gods as a show of respect......burn a festiva or something..... :slayer
:clap: :thumbs: Nice, I think that would be PERFECT! OK, no more thread jacking, now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Turbodreams-se
02-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Yep oil is good... no shavings, In a few hours I am going to start tearing apart that engine... I am picking up another 2.4 tomorrow, and I was going to build it up, but in light of the situation, I will probably be just pulling parts from it and fixing my current engine.