Strange noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise

Spirok
02-13-2004, 02:26 PM
I have a 2000 Grand Am and about three weeks ago I started to notice that when my car is cold, or if the weather is realy cold, there is a knocking noise coming from the front left side, around where the springs are. I did lower my car a few years ago but this is a new noise to me. Also, when my car is stationary and I turn the steering wheel, such as manuevering into a parking spot, the "Low Trac" light comes on. Does anyone know what this is? Should I really be concerned that my suspension is gonna fall off? Thanks in advance

Spiro

acdc1a
02-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Be afraid...be very afraid! Check all of your fittings, make sure nothing is rubbing or loose. Have a friend drive slowly while you monitor the left front of the car. Don't drive it with a sound like this!

Spirok
02-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe it's another common Grand Am curse I just don't know about yet.

klc317
02-14-2004, 06:46 PM
I had a clunking/knocking noise in my left front end (especially while turning left at low speeds) for awhile and finally discovered that it was the strut insulators on the bearing plates. I found that I could shoot a bunch of silicone lube in the top opening of the strut tower to silence it for awhile, but I went ahead and had them replaced. It has something like a rubber bushing on the top of it to isolate the strut movement/vibration from the car body. My rubber peices were pretty much eaten up somehow, leaving metal to metal contact. Hope this helps, and BTW my car has stock suspension and less than 30,000 miles. However, since yours has been lowered, I'd first go through and make sure every bolt is up to its torque specs.

Spirok
02-15-2004, 12:15 PM
That sounds a lot like what my car is doing, thanks I appreciate it.