How hard is it to replace power steering lines? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace power steering lines?

JesseGT1
02-14-2004, 05:30 PM
How hard is it to replace the power steering lines (specifically the pressure line not the return) on a 99 GAGT. I need to know ASAP, my Haynes Manual dosent help much.

JesseGT1
02-15-2004, 07:16 PM
*bump*

juanvan
02-16-2004, 07:56 AM
i would take a look at it and think about what u would have to move or take apart and take a guess on u'r own skill level good luck never had to replace one so...

iceman
02-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by JesseGT1
*bump*

I changed this thread topic to something less useless, hopefully you will get more responses now.

Coop
02-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Not sure what all you'll have to take off, but whatever you do make sure you use a line wrench so you don't round the flats off the nut. If you round 'em off then the job becomes much more in depth and aggravating.

danielkr
03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Does anyone have a link to a walkthrough for replacing these lines (specifically the pressure line)?

Thanks,

Daniel

juanvan
03-03-2011, 01:59 PM
****Raises a Dead Thread***

Why do you need the line pressures? Strange question

cutlsp
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I've replaced the power steering lines on my grand am when i replaced the rack just make sure you use the right size line wrench. I can't remember the size off hand though sorry. once it is replaced you have to bleed the air out of the system. you fill it up first then start the car and fill ir a little more. then turn the steering wheel from lock to lock making sure to keep the pump at the right fluid level.

AaronGTR
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM
****Raises a Dead Thread***

Why do you need the line pressures? Strange question

He doesn't need the line pressures... he needs to know how to replace the pressure line. There are two lines in the power steering system. A line from the pump to the steering rack that supplies pressure to the system, and a low pressure return line from the rack back to the pump reservoir.

juanvan
03-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Ya i Miss read - I was more about the zombie thread from 7yrs ago..