Soleniod? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Soleniod?

slapnutz
02-15-2004, 11:01 PM
My old tranny used to slip then grab going into 2nd gear WOT and was sloppy going into over drive part throttle so I thought ok must line pressure, according to the forums. So I just drove the car not thinking about it. Well the tranny blew up after dealer looked at it, so they covered a brand new tranny from gm. 2 weeks later I got my car back and they said that they broke the abs sensor off and will replace next week. Well the problem is the 2nd gear slip at wot is still there but the sloppy overdrive isnt. I went out to my car 2 days later when it was zero degrees out and started my car. The car was cold, I put it in reverse to back up and the car was doggin like no power at all. so I back out and put it in drive and the car acts like it is in 3rd gear, no power or torque at all. what would cause this with a brand new tranny. possibly they didnt replace the soleniod? help please :eek:

AznGA
02-16-2004, 01:00 AM
How old is your car? How can a tranny "blow up"?

slapnutz
02-16-2004, 03:27 AM
its a 99, They dont even know. It was 5 below and fluid froze up mean the tranny and sounded like a piece of rock bounced under my car going down the road. next thing I know i am leakin tranny fluid. they said I blew the back of the tranny apart

EBlend
02-16-2004, 07:15 AM
sounds like they didn't change ur tranny at all

95-GT
02-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Take it in and have the engine info read while driving. You could have a bad TCC brake switch, the coverter might be locked up, could be a solenoid or something internal. If your tcc brake switch is bad, it will do that but not throw codes. What its telling the transmission is that you want to stop when you actually dont. 99.9% of transmission shops will diagnose it for free with a road test, fluid check, and computer check. If you have a receipt from the dealer saying its all new, and it turns out to be something wrong internally, then the dealership is at fault and you can get them in quite a bit of trouble.

PS: I am having the same problem as you right now, but mine is a 95. My reverse is just fine, but I have 3rd gear takeoff's with no downshifting or overdrive.

Coop
02-16-2004, 06:39 PM
May be a long shot, but I had alot of problems similair to what you're having and I thought it was the converter all along. Turned out to be an intermittent ignition module and I was only running on 4 cylinders sometimes (mostly when it was cold out and it never threw a code either) I never even noticed it until I backed it into the garage to start yanking the tranny out and I smelled alot of gas. If you got access to a timing light it couldn't hurt to do a quick check.

Like I said it's a long shot though, and the symptoms weren't exact, but close.

AznGA
02-16-2004, 07:06 PM
I am having some tranny problems as well.
I don't think it's mechanically worn out, because it doesn't slip all the time going into 2nd.