blinker has a ghost in it [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : blinker has a ghost in it

racerchick0829
02-16-2004, 06:07 PM
hey there ? for any and all. my blinker recently started making the clicking noise even after it shut off. it was just the noise not the lights. anyone heard of this before? everytime i bring it in they don't hear it and i don't want them tearing my steering wheel apart for nothing. any ideas?
thanx

digitalballz
02-16-2004, 06:21 PM
at least yours work. mine only work when they want to. i have to bang the top of the steering column to get it to work. No i never heard of what your car is doing.

AznGA
02-16-2004, 07:01 PM
I had the same problem. Turned out to be faulty switch lever.

racerchick0829
02-16-2004, 07:16 PM
lot of electrical prob's digit?

racerchick0829
02-16-2004, 09:17 PM
thanx guys. i'll tell them to check that.

Panacea
02-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Yes, it's your Multifunction Switch (Wiper/Turn Signal Stalk, whatever you want to call it) anyway, get it replaced and it will fix it.

racerchick0829
02-17-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Panacea
Yes, it's your Multifunction Switch (Wiper/Turn Signal Stalk, whatever you want to call it) anyway, get it replaced and it will fix it.

Thanx

Kyle
02-17-2004, 12:06 PM
I had the same thing wrong with my car I took it to the dealer and it was covered under warenty so if you still have a warenty you will not have to pay. It was a pain in the A@@ i would be driving strait and i would hear the ticking sound of the blinker.

Molson
02-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by digitallballz
at least yours work. mine only work when they want to. i have to bang the top of the steering column to get it to work. No i never heard of what your car is doing.

yours sounds like its the bad hazzard switch. I had teh same problem.

CruzinGT33
02-17-2004, 02:57 PM
recall in the works, some day.

Vince
02-18-2004, 01:56 AM
If you don't have any warranty anymore on it, and you don't want to spend for the multifunction switch, there is an alternative solution. No guarantees though, but it worked for me, and it requires you do a little work on your steering column (took me twenty minutes for everything about a year ago, and still click free). The actual click comes from the hazard switch, at least on my car it did. But that's not the actual problem. I don't know if it will be the same for your car, but the problem on my car was in the steering column . The multifunction switch as said earlier, turn signal and wiper switch. It's not that hard to remove, I did it myself. Once I took it off, I kindof opened it a little ( and I say a little cause I noticed a spring inside, and I didn't want to open it all the way and it pop right out, so i just opend it enough to put a finger) and then I just wiped the copper terminals with a napkin, alot of black stuff was on it, wiped all that off. After that, it hasn't done it since. It's really up to you if you want to try it, I don't know how much a new one cost, but if the hazard switch in the dash costs 55 bucks, this peice will surely cost quite a bit.

shawn2ktats
02-18-2004, 11:09 AM
can you explain the location a little bit more

Vince
02-18-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure what location your talking about, but I'm gonna ssume it's the switch itself. If so, it's located in the steering column, on the top side of it. The turn signl handle and the wiper handle are attached to one box, that's it. If you were to take it off, it have both handles attached to it, one on each side. All you really have to do is unscrew the bolts for the cover(Column), take the top cover off. I suggest you try and take the switch off without taking the bottom cover off, it is possible, the bottom cover is kinda hard to put back on, just let it hang. There will be two or three connections on the switch, label them if you like, and disconnect them. Then just slowly open the switch, just be carefull cause there's a spring inside, that's why I didn't open it all the way. Use a napkin or Q-tip if you like to wipe it off. When I opened mine, it had alot black stuff at the connectors, but I also noticed that that same stuff kinda formed a bridge between the connectors, which in my opinion is causing the clicking sound when the blinkers are off. So really clean the blinker side of the switch.

crosa27
02-29-2004, 03:12 PM
THE TURN SIGNALS/HAZARD LAMPS BECOME INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE.
Make : PONTIAC Model : GRAND AM Year : 2000

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V327000 Recall Date : AUG 27, 2003

Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HAZARD FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS:SWITCH

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 670740

Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE HAZARD WARNING SWITCHES THAT MAY EXPERIENCE SOLDER JOINT CRACKING CAUSED BY RAPID TEMPERATURE TRANSITIONS AND THE SOLDERING PROCESS. IF SOLDER JOINT CRACKING OCCURS AND RESULTS IN AN OPEN CIRCUIT, THE TURN SIGNALS/HAZARD LAMPS BECOME INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE.

Consequence:
WHEN THE TURN SIGNALS ARE INOPERATIVE, THE DRIVER CANNOT USE THEM TO SIGNAL INTENT TO TURN THAT COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HAZARD WARNING SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 16, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.

Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03043. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONíS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

entoxckatd
10-11-2004, 10:46 PM
i don't mean to be mean but whoever posted the recall should have read the thread first. the recall you just posted is for the turn signal but a totally different issue. i had that issue and got it fixed for free... but now i'm having the problem that this thread is talking about.

anyway... that recall is not for the issue in this thread.