Replacing Fuel Injectors [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fuel Injectors

balludc
02-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know of a website for a how-to on replacing fuel injectors?

I'm tired of going through injector cleaner which doesnt help much more than 100 miles at a time. My injectors are to the point if i let my car sit for 10+ hours, it doesnt want to get much fuel to the engine and idles low to the point where it just dies. I have to play with the throttle to keep it at a good idle just to get out of a rough start. Once it's started though (after about 30 seconds), it runs just fine.

btw: i did search, and didnt find anything ;)

-Derek

71Z28RS
02-18-2004, 06:07 AM
I'm sorry, I don't have any info on that for you, but I was wondering if you're sure it's the injectors. It sounds like a low fuel pressure problem to me. I was wondering when was the last time you've changed the fuel filter? Plus, I've heard some of the other people on this site having similar problems when their fuel pump was starting to go......just some ideas.

Good luck with that.

mshu7
02-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Hey Derek, I was just watching a show on DIY that was talking about hesitation and one of the things they replaced were injectors. They showed something that I'm sure others know about but I didn't at the time and I think it's pretty cool. Start the car, put a long screwdriver on one injector at a time, put your ear up to the handle of it, and listen for the ticking sound that the injector makes. If it's not making a ticking sound it's either clocked or not working. The screwdriver acts as a stethescrope (sp). It might help you pinpoint which (if not all) injectors are giving you problems.

I'm actually having some hesitation problems myself and I just had a guy down the road from me hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the engine. The pressure looked good so I know the fuel pump & fuel filter are fine. The screwdriver test on the injectors is next on my list.

Like I said, it's a neat trick that might be worth while if you think it's an injector.

balludc
02-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by 71Z28RS
I was wondering when was the last time you've changed the fuel filter?
i replaced the filter about 3,500 miles ago... i thought that was the problem to but it wasnt (though i could tell some difference at the time)

Originally posted by mshu7
Hey Derek, I was just watching a show on DIY that was talking about hesitation and one of the things they replaced were injectors. They showed something that I'm sure others know about but I didn't at the time and I think it's pretty cool. Start the car, put a long screwdriver on one injector at a time, put your ear up to the handle of it, and listen for the ticking sound that the injector makes. If it's not making a ticking sound it's either clocked or not working. The screwdriver acts as a stethescrope (sp). It might help you pinpoint which (if not all) injectors are giving you problems.

I'm actually having some hesitation problems myself and I just had a guy down the road from me hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the engine. The pressure looked good so I know the fuel pump & fuel filter are fine. The screwdriver test on the injectors is next on my list.

Like I said, it's a neat trick that might be worth while if you think it's an injector.

sounds like a good a idea... though how can you get a screwdriver on the injector?... or can you put the long end of the screwdriver on the fuel rail where the injector would be?

if you have to remove the fuel rail (which i THINK you have to do)... can you even start a car with that off?

I can see the screwdriver thing work.... but dont know how to get it to the injectors......

heres a picture of a fuel rail with the injectors.... its a 4banger (similar to mine), but it should be similar with a v6 (just 3 on one side and 3 on the other)

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/may02/images/fuel-rail.jpg

mshu7
02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Ah, you raise a good point...lol. The car they were diagnosing on the show was a Taurus. You could see the injectors below the intake manifold. I'll have to take a look at mine and see what I can figure out. Let me know how you're situation turns out.

BTW, the fuel injector cleaner that you've been using...was it the type that you pour in the gas tank or the type that you hook up to your engine and run off a pressurized bottle?

balludc
02-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by mshu7
BTW, the fuel injector cleaner that you've been using...was it the type that you pour in the gas tank or the type that you hook up to your engine and run off a pressurized bottle?
i've been doing to cheaper route... gas tank additives.

my car has nearly 160k miles... and i'm sure the injectors are probably stock, so they probably just need replaced rather than cleaned

-dc

atc3434
02-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Your positive you have good fuel pressure? I would highly suspect, with your mileage, that your fuel pump is to blame. Its not likely that all six injectors are all going bad at the same time, or are even clogged. Get the fuel pressure tested before you going tearing after replacing fuel injectors. On a 60 degree V6, that means pulling the Upper Intake Manifold, and thats a whole can of worms worth avoiding if possible.

balludc
02-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by atc3434
Your positive you have good fuel pressure? I would highly suspect, with your mileage, that your fuel pump is to blame. Its not likely that all six injectors are all going bad at the same time, or are even clogged. Get the fuel pressure tested before you going tearing after replacing fuel injectors. On a 60 degree V6, that means pulling the Upper Intake Manifold, and thats a whole can of worms worth avoiding if possible.
luckily i have a 4 banger... or maybe that was sadly i have a 4 banger... either way you want to look at it lol

i plan on just having a pro clean the injectors (someone said 25-30 dollars). before they do that, i will have them test the pressure but i'm pretty sure the pressure is fine because it only causes problems when i'm starting the car after it's sat for a little while.

its actually been running pretty well the past couple days so i'm gonna see how long that lasts before i take it somewhere.

-derek

atc3434
02-18-2004, 10:45 PM
I'd also look into some of the various sensors that control the way the engine runs. Those can also cause the problems your refering to.

bngflava
06-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Such as the O2 sensor? Would that cause some hesitation in the way the car runs? What other sensors are there?

Also, do the over the counter fuel injector cleaners really work? I have 52,000 miles and the previous owner said they never cleaned them.

jondvd
06-16-2004, 12:51 PM
I would also like to know which sensors to check. Also, I think you can get a fuel pressure gauge to for free from autozone. You have to leave a deposit. I'm looking into that right now. I let you know for sure.

bngflava
06-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Once you take out the fuel injectors what do you clean them with?

jondvd
06-16-2004, 01:04 PM
That's a negative on the pressure gauge at autozone. They only have ones for sale.

AndroiDRC
09-13-2004, 09:47 PM
hey guys kinda off topic but these are the only posts i could find even involving injectors. i was just wondering if anyone knew what size injectors a 97 ga w/ the 2.4 would have. And this is pushing it but the part# might help too im looking to upgrade and dont know what to upgrade too if i dont even know what stock is haha. thanks