Help Diagnosing Some Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnosing Some Problems

bzhang777
02-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Can anyone help me with identifying my problems?

My Lower intake gasket has been leaking for some time... and back in October, it got to a point where it would not hold a gallon of Coolant for 40 miles / 6 hours. and it actually started smoking as I was driving home 30+ miles, it smelled of Coolant, I stopped added more in and it stoped smoking. Also the Heat stopped working at this point.

I havnt driven the car since then, and planned on fixing it in the spring. Anyone know what could the problem be with the heat? Heater Core? or what other things I should have the pro look at?

Also- does anyone know around how much the following repairs costs?

-Suspension Struts- Front & Rear?
-Ball Joints?
-AC/heat Fan blower resistors?

2000GA
02-17-2004, 08:32 PM
blower resistor is 75 for the dealer to change

Rba007
02-17-2004, 08:57 PM
But if youre flexible, you can do it in about 5 minutes. Im 6'2'' and 240lbs, and I managed it.

Gt00
02-17-2004, 09:26 PM
The no heat and smoking sounds like it could be a head gasket problem , probably caused by overheating while driving with low coolant . Another cause could simply be because the coolant is to low to circulate through the heater core , and the intake is leaking into the engine and causing it to smoke . In any case don't drive it till it's repaired as it can only cause more damage . :(

bzhang777
03-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the reply- you are right... it was just the case of absolutley no coolant left to circulate.

Upper and Lower intake gaskets- $600...

blk_grn_97GT
03-16-2004, 04:59 AM
i had a problem similar on my 97 gagt and found out that when i replaced the belt tensioner i snagged the front cover gasket while tightening my tensioner and it wouldn't hold coolant, it is like an 7 or 8 hour job, have to take front of engine apart with engine jacked up, gasket that goes around timing chain.