Power window stuck... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power window stuck...

grandGTR
02-18-2004, 12:53 PM
2000 GT coupe.

The driver side window will not roll down. When you push the switch the lights sim slightly, but the window does not move. The weird thing is every few days it will go up and down fine like nothing was ever wrong. I took the door apart and compared the driverside to the passanger side and saw no difference. :( Which part could be bad? The switch? the motor? that part that pulls the cables?

I am worried the dealer will want 300 or 400 to repair the window.

rodd62
02-18-2004, 01:20 PM
sometimes the cable part where the regulator attaches to the motor gets crossed and sort of strips the necessary part for the movement of the window...more or less you need a new regulator...80 on ebay. i have had that happen to a GA and a GP. it seems to be the second most common problem on gm windows next to the stupid plastic tabs on n-bodys.

Vince
02-18-2004, 01:39 PM
You don't necessarily need a new regulator. I suggest you check the track where the window connects to the track. Those connections are famous for breaking. If one breaks, it could cause your window to tilt a little and then freeze up the motor. Mines did that, I took the center of the motor apart and put it back, and it worked fine after that. Of course I didn't know about the those stupid plastic clips that attach to the window then, and eventually my window fell, and I had to buy a new setup. But now they sell those plastic clips seperately. Check if the window moves, it shouldn't, and check the clips on the track.

CoopGT
02-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Do you live where its cold all the time? I know mine freeze up from water in the track & below 32 degrees . Once the interior warms up the windows thaw out & start working again.

rodd62
02-18-2004, 02:35 PM
well i live in michigan...so yes...but im not sure who you are talking to.

CoopGT
02-18-2004, 02:38 PM
grandGTR. He was the one with the stuck windows.

grandGTR
02-18-2004, 04:24 PM
No I am down south.. ..cold is 40.

Actually when it started working again is when we had some strange ice storm. (The car had about 3/4 solid ice over the entire car). After a few hours of chipping at the ice to get to the car and letting the car run to melt this ice the window was woring, then after work not working again. A few days later in the AM when it was really cold again it was working, then like the first time after work it was not working.

When I took the door pannels off the cable on the right was really lose (the front of the door), and the other was very tight. I followed the cables to the window and did not feel anything broken or of track. I also pushed up on the window from the bottom and it did not move at all.

I want to look into this again myself, but it is tuff to get to those parts on the inside of the door. If it is that part you mentioned what would the dealer charge for the repair? About 100 or 150? This no window for 5 weeks has got to end.

Thanks all.

rodd62
02-18-2004, 04:29 PM
well the dealer can do it, but they replace the whole thing, regulator (track part) and motor i believe...if not then just the regulator...and thast a good 250. best to do it yourself and get one off ebay. saves lots of money...i know i can do a GA start to finish in less than a half hour...so it shouldnt take ya more than 45min to a hour. good luck.

grandGTR
02-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks I will see if I can get those parts out and replaced.