Undercoating Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Undercoating Question

Jordan#1
02-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Any opinions regarding undercoating? The local parts store has two different products. One type is "rubberized" and the other looks like it's asphalt based. I want the best product I can put on and (hopefully) paint over depending on the area sprayed. The main reason I am interested is because I hear this stuff is great for salt protection.

Also any tips or instructions that I could get from you guys before and when putting this on? Such as surface prep, etc.

acdc1a
02-19-2004, 04:29 PM
How long do you plan on keeping your car? This stuff really doesn't do the trick imao. All it does if flake off. The parts on cars these days really aren't that apt to rust any more. Just keep the car clean, when it's cold and snowy wash the car just as you would in the summer time.

Sleepwalkr
02-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Undercoating prevents rust and deterioration on bare metal surfaces. You don't need to undercoat metal that already has a surface sealer on it...(paint, primer, etc.) We use the Rubberized kind at work.

You're not gonna want to paint over anything that you undercoat.... its a bich to get off.

Jordan#1
02-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey , I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Road sand and salt compounds are used here and it can eat through paint and clear coat, etc faster than you think.

That is why I'm wondering about undercoating it myself this summer to protect from the winter elements. Lucky for you, you live in Florida when vehicles last much longer with less work.

Gotta love the snow.

Gt00
02-19-2004, 10:33 PM
We're frost bitten Canadian Boys lol

Filter
02-19-2004, 11:25 PM
I need to share some info here. Undercoating does NOTHING for rust protection. The main purpose of undercoating is to dampen sounds. It's messy and as stated, flakes off. It's horrible stuff as far as I'm concerned and I work for Toyota.

If you want rust protection, there is specific rust inhibitor products. However, the best method is to just wash your car REALLY good every week. spray your undercarriage and your doorjambs, use a hose to clean the dirt out of your wheel wells, etc...

If you do want to put something on, you MUST entirerly clean the surface first. Put a car up on a hoist, pressure wash, hand soap it, then rinse it off and park the car outside for 24 hours. The heat from the summer will help to dry it faster. You want to make sure there is NO water or dirt or you're just gonna seal it in where it will eat away.

Jagey
02-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Jordan#1
Hey , I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Road sand and salt compounds are used here and it can eat through paint and clear coat, etc faster than you think.

That is why I'm wondering about undercoating it myself this summer to protect from the winter elements. Lucky for you, you live in Florida when vehicles last much longer with less work.

Gotta love the snow.

My house has had all of our vehicles undercoated by Ming autobody on St.James. Contrary to what everyone is saying, Ming has a decent guarantee on undercoating. And it does not come off during time, my mom's 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera's undercoating is exactly the way it was back in 1987, and nothing has rusted down there yet.

Jordan#1
02-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks. I know about Ming. Goodd things said aboput them. I'll try putting it on myself in the summer on a warm-hot day.