Window Regulator Glue & Rivets? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Window Regulator Glue & Rivets?

Formula88
02-20-2004, 12:30 PM
I've searched through and found lots of info on replacing the power window regulator, but I have a couple of questions.

When you drill out the rivets, do you replace them with bolts? If so, what size did you use? (that way I can have the parts on hand BEFORE tearing my car apart)

Also, the clips that attach to my door glass have come off. These are the clips the regulator bolts to. What kind of adhesive do I need to reattach these? I've heard mention of a special adhesive, but have been unable to find what I need to ask for (or where to get it).

Thanks in advance!

snwman
02-20-2004, 03:15 PM
rivets? I replaced my regulator / motor assemly without drilling out any rivets only a few bolts here and there. as far as the plastic clips on the glass goes, I dont know what you could use, possibly buy a new window.

Formula88
02-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Buy a new window? That sounds like a dealer service manager's advice. No, I won't be doing that. I remember reading on here some time ago someone was able to get some special adhesive from a dealer to fix the clips back onto the glass, but thus far I haven't been able to find it in a search.

My Haynes manual says you have to drill out some rivets, but I'm wondering if people who've replaced them w/o having to do so, if that's the first regulator in the car?

Either way, I'll find out when I pull my regulator out. Thanks for the adivce.

juanvan
02-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Just replaced window motors in a 89 caddie there was pop rivits holding all the window pieces ~ used bolts with lock washers
rivits i would only uses if u don't have any room in the door panel
Die grinder works great on that though.

I don't know where the regulator is though
g/l

snwman
02-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Formula88
Buy a new window? That sounds like a dealer service manager's advice. No, I won't be doing that. I remember reading on here some time ago someone was able to get some special adhesive from a dealer to fix the clips back onto the glass, but thus far I haven't been able to find it in a search.

My Haynes manual says you have to drill out some rivets, but I'm wondering if people who've replaced them w/o having to do so, if that's the first regulator in the car?

Either way, I'll find out when I pull my regulator out. Thanks for the adivce.

Ive heard of people having the dealship glue them back on with that adhesive and to have it fail again. There is no rivets on the 99+ grand am to replace the window regulator at least on a 4 door model.

Formula88
02-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll try the rear view mirror adhesive, since that's designed to hold metal to glass...
If it comes loose, I'll try again. My dealer wants $500 to fix it, and that's just not gonna happen. I'm not paying that kind of money because GM designed a poor quality regulator.

At this point, I'll just fix it and sell the car and let someone else deal with it later. Pontiac really disappointed me on this car. I love the looks and the way it drives, but the quality has been abismal.

And people think my Fiero is unreliable. My 16 year old Fiero with 150k miles is more reliable than my 99 Grand Am with 80k miles.

snwman
02-21-2004, 05:01 PM
check ebay for a $90 regulator, I got one for my drivers door and its about 5X as fast as all my others. great quality fast shipping ill post the guys name up if I can find it.

newandusedparts

thats the ebay user id

even better

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=newandusedparts&sort=2&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

Formula88
02-22-2004, 12:30 AM
I've already got the regulator off of eBay. Finding one for $75, shipped was what made me decide to go ahead and do it myself.

Thanks! :)