tune up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tune up

ramairgt19
02-20-2004, 01:11 PM
any where i can get details information on changing spark plugs going to try to do it on my own and not the best with cars so was wondering if there is somewhere i can get detailed information

AndyVTek
02-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Either on this website... (try using the green Search button at the top of the page)... or... pick yourself up a Haynes Manual at Pep Boys or Autozone or wherever. I'm pretty sure those have descriptions on how to change plugs. :thumbs:

AznGA
02-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Haynes manual.
I recently changed mine and it was a pain. Expecially the back ones, because you have to reach in.

Dr_Kyle
02-20-2004, 06:14 PM
The process itself is annoying, but not complicated. The front 3 are a piece of cake, but the back 3 are a bit of a pain to reach.

Steps:
1) Remove plug wire from the spark plug.
2) Unscrew plug.
3) Replace with new plug.
4) Put plug wire back on.

Repeat for each cylinder.

fear187
02-20-2004, 08:08 PM
well.. a trick my brother learned from a mechanic up in Portland dealing with changing the rear spark plugs on his Grand Prix GT was to take the screws out of the 2 mounts on the front of the engine (just the top ones.. where you can visually see them on top of the engine bay mounting onto the engine).. just remove the 2 screws (1 for each mount).. and then turn on your car and place the car in reverse... and then turn off the engine. Placing it in reverse makes the engine rise forward making clearance (space) so you can comfortably get at the rear spark plugs. To get the engine back in it's normal position just place the tranny in drive (assuming it's an automatic)..and the engine will be backward to where it should be.. then just reinsert the Bolts into the engine mounts.. tighten them down, and your all set. more of a two man job I'd say... once it comes to trying to get the bolts back in, because you have to use some muscle... to get them to line up with the engine.. works for my bro though.. no problems.:thumbs: