GT1 steering wheel [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : GT1 steering wheel

XMBlackGT1
02-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Probably an odd question, but Pontiac is replacing the steering wheel in my 03 GT coupe because the leather wrap is coming off. I am wondering if our cars are pre-wired for the GT1 steering wheel- with the radio controls. Because, if it is, I am goign to pay the difference in price and upgrade to the GT1 steering wheel, but wanted to ask before I went ahead and did it. I hope it is- radio controls come in handy sometimes. Thanks

cavingman
02-21-2004, 04:12 PM
do a search. i was thinkin of swapping mine too at one time, but it turns out you need something else. an expensive part to do with the airbag if i remember correctly. The adapters are different because of the difference in wiring between the steering wheels.

Jagey
02-21-2004, 04:36 PM
i don't get it, your profile says you own a GT1, shouldn't you have the steering wheel controls already? I wouldn't want one after hearing how the letters on the buttons rub and fade off. It would look pretty ugly after a while.

XMBlackGT1
02-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Jagey
i don't get it, your profile says you own a GT1, shouldn't you have the steering wheel controls already? I wouldn't want one after hearing how the letters on the buttons rub and fade off. It would look pretty ugly after a while.

My GT isnt listed on my profile. I got used to the controls, so I am lookin into replacing the steering wheel with one with controls.

Jagey
02-21-2004, 05:32 PM
was your leather coming off at the seams, or was it like chipping and flaking off? I had my steering wheel replaced because the leather was chipping and flaking off, it was one hell of a fight to get it done under warranty. Did you have problems?

XMBlackGT1
02-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Jagey
was your leather coming off at the seams, or was it like chipping and flaking off? I had my steering wheel replaced because the leather was chipping and flaking off, it was one hell of a fight to get it done under warranty. Did you have problems?

Mine is starting to show some silver flaking in the leather, and come off the steering wheel- thats why I want to upgrade to the GT1 steering wheel. On a side note, my shift lever is starting to come apart too. I have it in my other car and got used to it- now i dont have buttons to hit quick if I want to change the radio around.

Jagey
02-21-2004, 11:59 PM
after having my steering wheel replaced, i have not touched the leather surface more than twice yet. That was over half a year ago too.

AznGA
02-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Ya, the mute button on the wheel would be nice to have......

CoopGT
02-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Um I hate to tell you this . I own a 2003 GT1 and it didn't come with the radio controls on the Steering wheel . Only the cruise control switches at the bottom.

Jagey
02-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by CoopGT
Um I hate to tell you this . I own a 2003 GT1 and it didn't come with the radio controls on the Steering wheel . Only the cruise control switches at the bottom.

then you own a plain GT, not a fully loaded GT1. Steering wheel controls are standard in the GT1, there is no way around it.

AznGA
02-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Ya, GT1 has 6 way power seat too.....

CoopGT
02-22-2004, 11:51 AM
mmm I didn't realize you you could get a GT coupe with the SC/T package with out it being a GT1. Sorry my mistake I'm just reading this off of my window sticker.

Jagey
02-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Yep, you can get a grand am SE with the SC/T package too if you wanted too, it's just an added package they sell in addition to your Grand Am.