How to check auto tranny fluid? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to check auto tranny fluid?

fear187
02-21-2004, 07:26 PM
How do you check the automatic transmission fluid on the 2003 Grand Am GT's ? .. Since they don't have the dip sticks for the tranney. I will get a haynes manual for it hopefully soon... so that'll help lol

atc3434
02-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Do a search, this has been covered... the quick version is that there is a check plug in the transmission, you take it out and if fluid comes out, have have enough, no fluid, add more.

thehemi
02-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Seriously? Who's idea was that? Ugh.
Some exec who never works on his own
car must have thought there were a few
too many "do-dads" under the hood...

atc3434
02-21-2004, 10:33 PM
I'll trade my EGR system for a tranny fluid dipstick!!!

klc317
02-22-2004, 01:29 AM
This is by far the most irritating thing I have found on my '02 GAGT. I am a very maintinence oriented person and like to check all my vehicles stats (such as fluid levels) often, and this drives me nuts!!

atc3434
02-22-2004, 12:00 PM
I know, I like to be able to look at the fluids, and see if there are picking up dirt or other debris, check their color, stuff like that. The whole no dipstick thing burns me up. Can't see through the radiator resivor tank either, so I have to unscrew that stupid pain the @$$ cap every week or so to check the coolant, which anybody with a GA should be paranoid about. Grr, stupid cars.

asepgrad98
02-22-2004, 03:15 PM
the worst part about it is the owners manual tells you never to check it or even how to check it and goto the dealer if it leaks :rolleyes:

Formula88
02-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by thehemi
Seriously? Who's idea was that?

The engineers made that decision because, from what I've heard, people seem to put everything BUT transmission fluid in the transmission dip stick. Eliminating it keeps moron owners from screwing up their cars.

I agree though. How do I know if it's leaking if there isn't a readily accessible way to check for leaks? When I spit tranny parts out the back of the car is a little late to take it to the dealer.

thehemi
02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Making cars more idiot proof sucks.
eg- Lack of real gauges because all
the morons would ask too many ?s.

Coop
02-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Wow, that's the way almost all older cars used to be, except they had 3 plugs. One for draining, one for filling, and one to let you know it's full. Maybe they're going for the retro-effect :D

...also overfilling an auto tranny can be bad for it as well.