Misfire in CYL #2 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Misfire in CYL #2

xhypno
02-22-2004, 02:46 PM
I am getting a SES on all the time that is saying I have a misfire in cyl#2. On acceleration (after 2500-3000rpm), the light starts to flash. The Coil for cyl#2&6 is 4 months old and so are all of the wires. The plugs are original and the car has 49k on it. I pulled the plug from Cyl #2 and it has what looks like white or greenish hazing on it. I need to get this cleared up soon, I am planning on a 50 shot next month.

AaronGAGT
02-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Are you asking us a question? Or are you just letting us know you have a misfire?

EBlend
02-22-2004, 02:58 PM
try replacing the plugs instead of cleaning them up, maybe they are gonners

Blackrider
02-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Could be a bad/dirty Injector, So try switching the coil around to with another one, this will tell you if its the coil or not.

scorpiosxa
02-24-2004, 02:49 PM
What do you mean switching the coil? What is the coil? I thought it was just the plug and the wires. How do you take out a coil?

Blackrider
02-24-2004, 03:05 PM
There are 3 coils that that spark plug wires plug into, they are numberd so you know what cyl. its going to. they are held down by 2 Bolts on the top and bottow, Regardless of what they are numberd the Coil Packs are interchangable. So the packs are labled from the left 5 and 2 / 3 and 6 / 1 and 4. So take the Coil Labled 5 and 2 and swap it with the one labled 3 and 6. The Plug wires will still be pluged into the same position they always where. now see of the misfire moved to cyl 6 then you will know that the problem lies in the 5 and 2 coil pack and it will need to be replaced. If not if its still in cyl 2 then the pack is fine and you can put everything back the way it was. In that case your looking at a bad Injector.

Its Kinda Confusing to read by it only take 5 min, its really eeasy to do.

AWACS Guy
02-24-2004, 05:07 PM
I had the same problem, I took my car to Autozone to get the code pulled it said Misfire in Cyl. 5. After I changed the Coil Pack, wires and plugs. I took it to the shop and they had to change 3 Fuel Injectors. If you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself, I didn't have time to do mine because of work but oh well.

juanvan
02-25-2004, 08:07 AM
Should realy change u'r plugs prior to 50k miles would look in to that too
Read out on what plug condtion
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html
g/l