Swapping a 2.4l tc [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Swapping a 2.4l tc

gross
02-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I am acquiring a 97 Grand Am SE from a guy, the only thing is it needs a new motor ( wife ran desiel through it at one point, had an oil change without putting new oil back in, stuff like that, right now has almost no compression in one of the cylinders) but the car itself is in good shape. I am just going for cost effective at this point, so we are going to replace the 2.4l with the same motor for ease of installation with minimal part replacement.

Is there any sensors or gaskets that are known to go bad that I should replace since we will have the motor on the bench anyways? I suppose any cheap easy mods are an option, but mostly going for cost effective here.

TIA

tenspeed
02-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Depends on the miles on the new engine. Water pump and timing chain replacement wouldn't hurt.

gross
02-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Well, we found a new motor today. $750 for one with 56k miles. Had one with 100k+miles for $450, but we would rather spend a bit more now for a fresher motor. I will look into the waterpump, as I was advised by the previous owner, the one on the engine we are replacing is bad.

I have read several posts about replacing the Lower Intake Gasket, but I am assuming that is for the 3.1/3.4 engines?

Turbodreams-se
02-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Ouch!!!!! diesel? that sucks... I am working on my 2.4 so if you want any help, i can give you info from what i have done so far. and the waterpump is a part you should replace definitely. and probably the timing chain tensioner shoe, if you have to pull the timing chain out. OffTopic: and I see you are a west coast guy too... we are having a norcal meet in april if you are interested in coming.

gross
02-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys, as you all know, its best to fix these annoyances the least amount of times.

Off topic, Actually SF, SD is Sioux Falls, South Dakota. So I am about as Midwest as you can get :) So I probably wont make it to the meet.

:cool:

Turbodreams-se
02-25-2004, 02:19 AM
ok thought you meant San Francisco, San Diego. someone elses location is like that.

gross
02-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Anybody have info on putting in a 3400 in place of a 2.4? I am not real familiar with either one. Do the motor mounts line up? Trannies line up? I know I would need at least the PCM, but what other parts am I looking at too.

Thanks.